TRSS ride leader exam.

x-horsemad-x

wish i was at the stables
Aug 30, 2007
Scotland/fife
Hi.

Just found out i will be doing my ride leader exam at the end of June sometime, with the view that i will work throughout the summer holidays.

Looked at the syllabus and it doesn't look too bad, there are some points ( well quite a few ) that i will have to re visit or learn.

Just wondered if anyone has any experience doing this exam ( or one similar ) as would like to know what to expect on the day etc?

thanks.

I did mine about 3 years ago.
Its really not a bad exam, in fact I quite enjoyed my day. If you're doing the refreshers course beforehand absolutely everything that could come up is covered then. Have you got any experience leading rides? I had been going out as assistant ride leader for nearly 2 years and had been leading rides for about 6 months when i did the exam.

From what I remember the riding was fairly basic. Just staying on in walk, trot, canter and a small jump in balance and being able to control the horse when out and about.

The exam we had was pretty much structured around the routine at the stable. Mucked out, turned out, caught up, groomed, tacked up and went to the school to ride. Questions were thrown at us while we were working, but this really wasnt too stressful. Had quite a few little discussion type things in between about things like horse allocation, tack, paperwork etc.
On the hack out took turns being the ride leader and assistant ride leader whilst being followed by the examinor in a 4x4 (apparantly at crieffe he sits in a golf buggy!)

Erm what else, you'll be doing your ride leader exam at crieffe won't you? hmm I did mine at glen tanar as my boss got a big enough group of us together.
Where are you working over the summer if i may ask?

oh and good luck

Cant help on the TRSS (is that scottish?), I did the WTRA trek leader (Welsh equivalent). Basically we just did our normal routine with actual clients and the assessor observed the whole thing. Was fairly stress free, compared to BHS exams. We worked as a pair, and so anything my friend forgot I filled in and vice versa.

newrider.com