Trouble with ex-loaner?

Midnight_Ashes

Apr 1, 2008
County Durham
Last year a girl started loaning my little horse, all was fine until her mum lost her job and she fell behind with payments as her EMA didn't cover it. Now I knew this girl when she was younger so she was sort of a friend, (she rode at the riding school I worked at). Obviously we all fall on hard times so I didn't pester her for the money she owed. Anyway, then she stopped coming up to see the horse - I take charge of stable duties anyway so loaner only rides. Long story short, in early January we had a chat and agreed for her to pay £50 towards the money she owed (which was about a quarter) and then we would draw a line under it and start again with him on part loan which was more managable. She paid me for that week and said she would be up later in the week with the £50 and that having him on part loan was more manageable etc. Well I haven't seen her since and despite numerous texts etc I can't get an answer out of her. I sent her a message a few weeks ago saying I assumed that as I had not seen/heard anything that she no longer wanted/was able to keep the horse on loan and that I would find somebody else, no hard feelings kind of thing. She has a show jacket of mine that I loaned to her (an inexpensive one that I rarely wore but that's not the point) and her hat is in my tack box. I have sent her several texts and messages on facebook (I know she has been on as her status has updated etc etc) but am still getting no response. Up to now I have been very friendly in my messages etc but it's getting beyond a joke now - does anyone have any advice? I feel a bit hard done by as I feel I was very good to her by writing off her debts down to £50 when I am not exactly loaded myself. Also we gave her a pair of leather riding boots which we bought second hand but didn't fit my mum. They weren't expensvie (around £30) but still!? She can keep the boots as they were a gift but I would like my jacket back!

I think she's going to ignore you until you give up contacting her, other than physically turning up at ther front door i'm not sure what you can do maybe put it down to experience.

I would forget about it and move on.

If you really want the jacket back go around to her house and ask for it, but do you really want the agro.

Some people are right sods!

Sorry I just re-read that and it's clear as mud! I don't want the money she owes me and I have made this clear to her; I just want my jacket and to give her her hat back!

How annoying!

I think you'll probably have to do as the others said and just let it go. Keep her hat and if she wants to come for it (if she ever does get in touch) tell her she can bring your jacket when she comes to collect the hat.

How annoying!

I think you'll probably have to do as the others said and just let it go. Keep her hat and if she wants to come for it (if she ever does get in touch) tell her she can bring your jacket when she comes to collect the hat.

What about offering to leave the hat somewhere she can collect it with out having to see each other and she would leave the jacket whilst picking up hat? Or if you wouldn't trust her to leave the jacket after taking hat is there a mutual friend that would call round with her hat and ask for your jacket?

Horrible situation to be in when you have been so understanding with her financial difficulties.

Would sadly just put it down to experience. If they have a good bone in their body they will hopefully return your items, i would just return theirs anyway even if it meant no guarantee i would get my items back. I would rather never keep something that wasn't mine

I did that when my loan ended and posted an item through the post in turn i had hoped to get a bit back that shouldn't have been taken but was being used on one of loaners bridle. Sad really as silly as it seems it was my old horse chinooks main bit and one i'd always kept since he passed on. I was gutted to see it go and hoped it would be returned but it never was :(

Whats worth more the jacket or the hat. If the hat is worth more and you have asked her to collect it and have proof of this I think legally it is yours after 6 months.( beter check this first though)

TBH I am going soft in my old age, when I read things like this it always makes
me feel sad.

The rights and wrongs beside, and they are wrong not to return your calls, is
obviously down to embarassment. The fact that they cannot afford to
keep up the payments and I would imagine the poor Daughter is devastated at losing her loan pony. I think the chances of you getting your jacket back are pretty remote to be honest and I would just send a text saying that
the hat is still at your yard should they wish to collect it in case '?' starts
riding again in the future.

Had a similar thing happen when a Girl came to help out with Sioned. She
had no boots so I lent her a rather nice leather full length pair of mine as it
was muddy and wet. I had tbh bought them on E BAY for £30 as new, but the money isn't really the issue. She disappeared a month or so later after moving in with her Boyfriend, along with my Boots:D

TBH they didn't fit me anyway, well I could do one leg up and was working
on stretching the other:p;) But thats not really the point. However I
suspect I will never have to struggle with that particular boot again:p

Agree it's very irritating but like others have said think you will either have to go to her house with her hat and ask for your jacket, or just let it go and sadly put it down to experience.

Well if that is true its taking the proverbial 'P':eek: unless of course this is a 'free' part share/loan where the Owner just wants
the Horse ridden with no financial input.

newrider.com