Trouble Cob

Mad&Mag

May 28, 2008
I Do apologise as this might get a bit long winded.

I own a 8 year old welsh section D and a Ifor 505 Classic.
The problem is he won't travel on it which is a problem as i would like to start taking him to some dressage competitions through the winter.

He will go on it after about 10 minutes of encouragement but will not stand on it.
He has already broken the breech bar twice. :rolleyes:
I have tried every possible combination with the centre partition but it seems to be when the box takes his weight it bounces and moves a bit which isn't helping much either, we have tried the leave the jockey wheel down to take some of the weight but that hasn't work either.
He tends to panic but he is alot of horse to try and stop.
We have tried with the front ramp up so there is no escape but he tries to turn himself around.
I have tried every trick in the book and he just seems to be getting worse.

I have been doing ground work with him and the dually halter e.g. walking through jumps with rugs on, standing in the middle, backing up and walking through and out the other side.

The problem is two and a half years ago i took both my horses to a show in the Classic and my other horse came backwards off the box while loading to come home due to a peacock calling. the thing is the rope cut all my mums hand. So to cut a long story short, Total strangers took it on themselves to loading him up when i only asked them to hold him while i was loading my mare back up and if they could put the back bar up behind her, the big problem was they hit him across his back legs with a schooling whip!
He has never been any good with his back legs due to a horse kicking him and that carried on kicking him when he went on the floor in the field when he was 4.

We have travelled him in the box since then but it took 2 months of continues attempts at trying to load him every day.

The last time he went on it calmy was 18 months ago
and since then he starts to panic.

He does tend to assoicate things with pain so I am wondering whether it is the box.
I haven't manged to try him on a different box, if i did which one would be best for him?

Any ideas?
Thank you

HAve you tried taking the partition out so he has the whole trailer to himself? Somethimes it's a claustrophic thing as well. Maybe try the parking in a field rick and letting him take himself on (put his feed/haynet in there) so he has a chance to make a decision for himself.

And as Yann said, try a professional just to guide you through any other techniques :)

Not much help really but just thought I would say that I have a sec d as well and he cant travel in a trailer, he kicks the central partition to bits ... I think he just panics!
However, when I travelled him in a 7.5 ton horsebox, he was a bit stressed (sweaty) but didnt panic and didnt try destroying the place!! :D

I have been doing ground work with him and the dually halter e.g. walking through jumps with rugs on, standing in the middle, backing up and walking through and out the other side.

Can you do this without a pressure halter - ie he is doing as asked not because "if he doesnt the halter gets tight"? How long will he stand there and is he TOTALLY calm?
With regards to the backleg issue - have you done any desensitisation work with him?
I would suggest you do lots and lots and lots of groundwork. Really build up the trust and respect. Get rid of his fears. Then, and only then, try the trailer.

If the bouncing of the trailer is a problem you can buy rear props which holds it more stable while you load.

How does he manage to break the breech bar, I didn't know they were even cutable as that is why the emergency allen key is supplied?

Will he walk through the trailer? We have a very claustrophobic horse and he does this willingly and will even stand for feed but any attempt to shut back or front and he collapses on the floor.

We didn't think they were cutable....but after charging through the breech bar we found out after returning it to our dealer that the hook only goes into the bar about 3.5cm the rest of the bar is hollow!!!
Tried the feeding on the box he takes about three mouthfuls and thinks its tooooo scary I have to get off:eek:

newrider.com