trotting pole question

twigs

Aug 31, 2008
Belfast NI
why did my YO put a pole about 2 feet from the cross pole?
whats the reason for it, I used to think poles were there to tell the horse when to take off, but we trottedover it then popped the jump:confused:

She was probably putting it there as a placing pole, it's usually used in canter I think, so you have a stride of canter over the pole, then one stride, then the jump, it is another way of helping horse and rider to see where to take off.

Two feet seems a very odd distance. A placing pole is usually set at approx 9 feet away from the jump (depending on the size of the horse and spread of the jump).
As a trotting exercise, you would normally place three poles before a cross pole, miss the last one and then place the jump - this helps the horse to keep the rhythm and is used for training youngsters.
Other, than that, it seems strange, why not ask her.

when i was having jumping lessons at an RS the RI always put 1 placing pole down just infront of the jump. It would move depending on whether we cantered or trotted over the jump. Its just so you get the right stride for take off :)

it wasnt close enough for a take off point, about one stride away from the jump at a trot, def about 2-3 feet away
Ill sk next time Im there:rolleyes:

The reason for placing a pole in front of a jump that is approached from trot is to organise the horses legs at takeoff. When approaching in trot you will have one front leg foreward and one front leg back. A horse needs both front feet square at take off and the pole makes the horse do this. This problem does not occur in canter.
If jumps are approached in trot without the pole it encourages a horse to hang a front leg back over the fence rather than snapping both up evenly.

Jumps should NEVER be approached in trot without the pole.

You have a good instructor! :D

newrider.com