Trimmer in Dorset or anyone used Caroline Andresen, Somerset

annareeves0

Dec 18, 2007
Bournemouth, Dorset
Rosie was barefoot for a long time (unridden mainly)and we have had front shoes back on since mid October, mainly as i panicked as had a pleasure ride coming up and she had got really footy 3 times in as many months after going over stoney ground. 1st time we called the vet out, treated for an abcess but nothing happened and she was sound after 4 days bute and last 2 times have taken it easy and it has improved in less than a week.

I would really like to go back to being barefoot but am worried;
  1. that she will continue to be uncomfortable/in pain from frequent bruised soles (the path outside our field is VERY stoney and uneven and unavoidable)
  2. it isnt bruised soles but LGL?
  3. I dont know a local trimmer and am worried about picking one off the internet as they could be any dodgy old 'got my qualification for $4.99 off the net' wannbe
  4. that we will be fine for everyday but she will go lame before or during an important event
  5. that I'll spend a fortune on barefoot trimmers and hoof boots for them not to fit and us still have the same problems and end up putting shoes back on anyway
  6. that i dont really know what Im talking about, havent had time to do much research despite saying i would and that actually there is nothing wrong with having front shoes as they seem to be working perfectly well

Im confused :confused:

I wonder if anyone knows a trimmer that covers my area or I have found Caroline Andresen who comes this far out - anyone know her? I guess the worst that would happen is we try it for a while and if she is sore again we'll try the shoes again?

I dont know about wo sorry :(

I was reading the barefoothoof website last night, and that SUGGESTS stony ground shouldnt be a problem if they are shod correctly...

I used to have front on Silver, and as we are doing a lot of roadwork I was thinking about putting them back on (following advice from the farrier), but Ive secretley without realising become a barefoot convert! :eek: ?I dont really want her shod again lol. They have their place, but hpefully not on my ponios feet!

There might be someone on this list who covers your patch, they're all well established trimmers http://www.epauk.org/findep.php

I'm very pro barefoot as there really are lots of advantages, although some of the stuff you read on the web can be overstated at times. However my own experience (and that of many others) is that it isn't simply a case of pulling shoes, doing the trim and diet and waiting for nirvana, which is what you're often led to believe. Some horses, either because of their individual history, metabolism or the grazing where they're kept just get so far and no further. There's plenty of evidence to suggest that drastically changing the management of these horses and keeping them mostly grass free on a track system for example will make the difference, but that's simply not feasible for most people.

I would personally give it a go, but be realistic about it, and if you feel that on balance your horse is better off shod for whatever reason, then do so. My horses struggle when the grass is growing and I now have them shod for half the year and barefoot for the rest to try and have the best of both worlds, might be something to consider as it seems to work well for us.

I love the idea of paddock paradise and when I had my fencing done a few months ago, did ask if I could fence off a huge square in the middle to leave a track round the outside. Farm manager didnt quite tell me to **** off but it wasnt far off! They are a little conservative .... :(

Thanks for the link - I have tried that one but there isnt anyone close to me.

I think my expectation has been - pull shoes, trim, diet = nirvana. What else is there????? I dont really understand how the grass affects their barefootedness?
Too much grass is a problem? Our field is an old cow field - too much grass is a huge problem for us in terms of overeating and weight management but i dont really get the impact on hooves.

What would be the benefits of removing those front shoes? If she is still struggling with stoney ground is hoof boots the only answer?

Is she struggling on the stones with shoes? That would worry me a bit. If she's out 24/7 then the constant wet may not be helping either. Boots would provide better protection.

There is a direct link between footiness and grass in some if not all horses, often alongside things like flare, thrush and white line separation. Most farriers are unaware of it or even adamant it doesn't exist, but they don't normally have any reason to come across the issue first hand. I think it's mostly to do with the amount of sugar in the diet, which causes inflammation, hence the LGL description. The fact you're on cow pasture and struggling with pony's weight won't be helping. Are you commonly seeing warm hooves and raised digital pulses? Does she get noticeably more comfortable and capable in the winter months?

Is she struggling on the stones with shoes? That would worry me a bit. If she's out 24/7 then the constant wet may not be helping either. Boots would provide better protection.

There is a direct link between footiness and grass in some if not all horses, often alongside things like flare, thrush and white line separation. Most farriers are unaware of it or even adamant it doesn't exist, but they don't normally have any reason to come across the issue first hand. I think it's mostly to do with the amount of sugar in the diet, which causes inflammation, hence the LGL description. The fact you're on cow pasture and struggling with pony's weight won't be helping. Are you commonly seeing warm hooves and raised digital pulses? Does she get noticeably more comfortable and capable in the winter months?

She isnt 'struggling' on the stones with her shoes on - on the way out she picks very gingerly over them and then walks normally once we are past the stones. This would be worrying except that on the way home when she is keen to get back she doesnt break pace and marches straight over them - I think she's just trying it on! Our field is pretty mud free and well drained and still quite green - its just turning this week as all the longer grass is finally gone. yesterday was the first day they were really keen to get hay - before they werent bothered either way.

We have had enormous (pardon the pun) weight issues and she was at the end of last year obese. Now I am riding again and getting a better understanding of feeding, by vets reckoning last week she was at a 3/4 when she felt she should have been at a 3 for the time of year so much much better but still a little way to go. We can manage the grass better now the field is split in two and she is naked and only has a scoop of happy hoof when I ride. We havent really had anything above the odd slightly warm hoof and I havent ever found a pulse and Im pretty sure Im looking in the right place!

Im not sure what impact the winter is having as it is combined with the weight loss over the last 6 months and of course shoes went back on mid october so I dont know. Certainly she has been fine since the shoes went on - this is why although i like the idea of barefoot a bit of me thinks, if it aint broke dont fix it!

I'm with you. Picking over the stones outbound and not so much homeward doesn't sound unusual :)

I like to have the shoes off for a spell each year just to let nail hole damage grow out and get the foot back to something like, but I've personally found that the better the hoof the less apparent effect there is. The other thing is that shoes do seem to drastically reduce LGL symptoms, more than you'd expect, so a horse that shows problems (heat, pulses, soreness) quickly unshod won't nearly so much shod. Whether that's a good thing or not depends on how much you can do about it. If you have a fatty and can exercise the legs off her more easily with shoes on then that is also a consideration.

I like to have the shoes off for a spell each year just to let nail hole damage grow out and get the foot back to something like, but I've personally found that the better the hoof the less apparent effect there is. The other thing is that shoes do seem to drastically reduce LGL symptoms, more than you'd expect, so a horse that shows problems (heat, pulses, soreness) quickly unshod won't nearly so much shod. Whether that's a good thing or not depends on how much you can do about it. If you have a fatty and can exercise the legs off her more easily with shoes on then that is also a consideration.

Hmm plenty of stuff to think about - thanks. I can see the sense of having a break to let nail holes grow out etc. I dont really ride that much less in the winter so when might be the best time to take shoes off for a rest?

1st year I was a complete wuss about putting on her grazing muzzle etc and she wasnt being exercised so she got really fat, this year I have been tougher but was still giving her an hours break every day - vet said this was a bad idea so I stopped doing this and she's just a little tubby and next year it'll be on 24/7 from about March onwards and loads of exercise so am hoping the healthy weight and fitness regime will keep her fit and well and so have a knock on effect for her hooves. I plan to be doing long steady distances regularly - lots of pleasure rides and forest hacks, I dont really like speed! Would she be better to hang on to her shoes for the summer and have a rest next winter? Would the distances be difficult to manage barefoot? I know there are plenty of barefoot endurance riders but they know what they are doing!

newrider.com