Tried to jump with Vinnie today

MPR

Oct 22, 2006
Minnesota, USA
The video clips were helpful feedback. My leg position is bad when riding trot and canter in 2 point. My low leg just isn't steady. Also, I noticed that when we got close to the jump, Vinnie would look down at it. That would throw him off and pull me forward. So, I'm not sure what to do. I'd better set up a lesson!!:redface:

Here's some photos of it. These aren't the totally bad ones :wink:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3627627058413.2131756.1506163583&type=1&l=54f8550fbb

What is it your using as it looks fairly narrow?

I always think video is great, you look back at it and think did my leg do that i don't remember that-in my case anyway.

What is it your using as it looks fairly narrow?

I always think video is great, you look back at it and think did my leg do that i don't remember that-in my case anyway.

I'm not sure what you are asking? Are you talking about my saddle? If so, it's a Sensation Treeless. Or do you mean my pony is narrow?

You look like you are having lots of fun and your leg position looks great to me!

The only advice I would give, is that from my own experience my horse jumps far better when the jumps are of a decent height. I would try putting them up so that they are at least 1'6" upright. That really isn't very big, but will allow your horse to make a proper jump rather than hop over it. You may find that he is just confused about what you want him to do because your jumps are so small.

Sit up :wink: For small jumps you really don't need to approach in a forward seat. In those photos your weight is too far forwards as you approach the jump - you're rushing him into it and encouraging him to fall onto the forehand. His canter is also too strung-out for jumping - it needs to be more collected, and energetic from behind. My guess is that if you don't do much jumping you're simply anticipating the jump a bit too much (maybe even unconsciously?) and rushing him into it. Sit up, in a normal flatwork canter, and ride him into the jump as if it were just a canter pole on the ground. Don't anticipate it and allow yourself to fall forwards - just sit up and wait for it to come to you.

You're right that your lower leg is sliding back a little bit, but it's not as bad as you think! - with small jumps it won't matter anyway as long as you are balanced. Your stirrups are a bit too long for jumping which is probably why your leg slides back - but it looks like your saddle may prevent you from riding with them much shorter, so if it's not possible to shorten them and still be balanced and comfortable, leave them be. Main thing is that you're giving nicely with your hands, you and Vinnie both look balanced and relaxed, and your smile suggests you are having lossa fun :D

I had the same thoughts as Joosie, about the leaning forward and the long stirrups, but you are looking forward, not down, over the jumps, and your not interfering with Vinnie - that's good. Can't see much wrong with your lower leg, either; putting your stirrups up a hole or two might make all the difference.

As for him looking down, I think he just wants to know where his feet are .. He's a lovely, forward-going, willing pony.

I really appreciate all the tips! I did set up a lesson for this weekend, so I'll be getting help in person too.

My saddle does allow my stirrups to be shortened, may be 4 more holes or so.

Ok, so I need to make my jumps higher and wider.

Question: So, as I'm going toward the jump, I sit up straight, but should I be sitting in the saddle??? Or be in 2 point, but NOT leaning forward??

Vinnie does better in an arena because he's more focused. I'm trying this stuff outside in an uncontained area. He wants to rush toward the barn etc. so keeping a steady rhythm is a challenge.

If he's got a tendency to rush, taking a forward seat may encourage this. I'd suggest you ride in your normal flatwork position - keep your bum in the saddle, sit up straight and open your shoulders. Leg on, hands closed. With a deeper seat you'll have more influence over his rhythm and speed. Try with your stirrups a couple of holes shorter. As for the size of the jumps, if you're confident enough I'd suggest you aim for around 2'0'', which is about 60cm. This will give him something more sustantial to jump but without overfacing him.

Try sitting up straight & keep your backside firmly in the saddle when coming into the jump & keep upright until he leaves the floor, he won't pull you forward then when he drops his head .He needs to drop his head before a jump to lift up over it. Why don't you have a grid of say three very small jumps & push him on through them, it will help you to go with him just put him to the grid & don't try to go into two point position as it's unnecessary with tiny jumps. He very nice looking by the way & you seem to be really enjoying him & riding him nicely so stop worrying & just enjoy the journey :biggrin:

It was raining yesterday, so didn't ride. I have a lesson tomorrow afternoon, but if the grass is wet and slippery, we'll have to have the lesson indoors.

I deleted the Vinnie jump album. I got enough feedback on those. I'll post more when I improve! :mstickle:

I deleted the Vinnie jump album. I got enough feedback on those. I'll post more when I improve! :mstickle:

Fair enough - but do keep copies for yourself! It's always good to look back at old photos and see the progress you've made :)

newrider.com