Treeless vs English vs Western?

welshymad

Aug 19, 2007
Derbyshire
Hi, I have always had english tree'd saddles but recently i have been swayed towards getting a different saddle for my TB who is narrow-medium/medium. She had a made to measure saddle that dropped on her withers and so she is grumpy being tacked up :mad: and i am concerned about causing her any more discomfort. i would like anyones thoughts on the treeless and western saddles? i have seen the balanced saddles and like those but also like the western saddles. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated :) :)

Hi SavannahIce, had a look the are lovely but probably a litle pricey for me. But thank u anyway.

I am a bit worried about pressure from treeless saddles and them causing pressure points has anyone had any problems with them etc?

I have treeless english saddles and treeless western saddles.
It really depends on your horse whether they like saddles without gullets or not, my ex racer doesn't, my idxtb does.

My hw cob has been getting some white hairs on his back from the barefoot arizona saddle, but I haven't had any troubles with other treeless saddles, obviously the arizona doesn't suit him, its fine on my other horses. The hilason western with the stirrups set low on the skirt seems to be better for him.

Im planning on buying a startrekk western, they look traditional and have enough room to fit high withers, just hoping it will fit my barrel shaped pony.

Thanks No Angel, i have never tried a treeless or western on her. i have had a leather english with a tree that dropped on her whithers even though it was made to measure. i always use thick pads or a gel pad, she doesnt have any white hairs from past disomfort. i then went onto use wintec dressage saddle but the problem is she is high whithered but quite fat as well! if that makes sense, although shes a TB she puts weight on easily, a real good doer! and i was forever changing the gullets, i have recently tried a thorowgood saddle but it felt really tight behind her shoulder. Any more help would be great :)

Saddle company

Have you tried these saddles? I have just bought one for my baby as it is adjustable and the panels are serge (soft wool) you can ride with no numnah or saddle cloth, I have and he didn't even have a sweat mark!

You can get them reasonably priced second hand and they are comfortable too!

YM:D

newrider.com