Treeless Saddles Question and Answers Thread

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I've got the question and answer guide set up, but i was hoping someone would have a question that's not on it.

I was also hoping for some input into treeless i may have missed, there are a lot of users out there, am i missing something really important.

Anything else that you think would be useful, it's a guide for everyone but no good if it's missing things:)

Set up last week when the two lil shetlands left and it filled in my hours. I miss those lil faces.

One area has been mentioned about modifications and adding somehow the model and year of saddle. So looking into that.:)

Just a thought

Newforest, this is just a thought, but How about a thread on NR with for example Freeform Owners who are willing to give simple advice, and then one for Sensations etc? I know we can post a general question but if it isnt read too quickly it doesnt get noticed?

Not for your guide but for NR, where people can offer to answer questions or either remove themselves or be removed?

I think it is great like yesterday when I could pick your brain about the Freeform, pros and cons, and that is invaluable?

Have looked at the guide and cant quickly see anything not answered, well done!

I would like to know why some treeless saddles have gullets and others don't.

Do you have to use treeless pads under a saddle with no gullet. If you don't, is there a rider weight limit?

Surely those pads, being quite thick, lift you off the horses back and you lose the close feelling?

Sorry if these comments seem dumb, I've only ridden in saddles with gullets.

Do you have to use treeless pads under a saddle with no gullet. If you don't, is there a rider weight limit?

Surely those pads, being quite thick, lift you off the horses back and you lose the close feelling?

Hi Daisy, you should use a pad designed for treeless saddles under a treeless regardless of whether it has a gullet or not. They help distribute weight and are able to be shimmed to meet the horses requirements for conformation and wither clearance. Treeless saddles do vary a great deal. For example the Trekker Pro Endurance I trailed once had a very rigid enclosed design. However, the older style Freeform i once owned, Hackabout and also the Sensations I now ride in are of soft layered design. Riding treeless is a very different feel to treed. You are able to feel the movement of the horse. My one Sensation has a very thick Skito pad underneath but the wool and shims do not extend down the sides of the horse and in no way detracts from the close contact feel. Most treeless do have rider weight limits. Also many companies do say that the rider should have a good independent seat.

I always think that its a great shame that there are not mobile treeless saddle fitters who carry all the well known brands. As it becomes very expensive doing postal saddle trialing and many people would like reassurance that the saddle chosen was not to the detriment of the horse.

Last edited:
Hi Daisy, you should use a pad designed for treeless saddles under a treeless regardless of whether it has a gullet or not. They help distribute weight and are able to be shimmed to meet the horses requirements for conformation and wither clearance. Treeless saddles do vary a great deal. For example the Trekker Pro Endurance I trailed once had a very rigid enclosed design. However, the older style Freeform i once owned, Hackabout and also the Sensations I now ride in are of soft layered design. Riding treeless is a very different feel to treed. You are able to feel the movement of the horse. My one Sensation has a very thick Skito pad underneath but the wool and shims do not extend down the sides of the horse and in no way distracts from the close contact feel. Most treeless do have rider weight limits. Also many companies do say that the rider should have a good independent seat.

I always think that its a great shame that there are not mobile treeless saddle fitters who carry all the well known brands. As it becomes very expensive doing postal saddle trialing and many people would like reassurance that the saddle chosen was not to the detriment of the horse.

Have to say I agree with mobile fitters...perhaps Ill go learn an then give up the day job!!

Thanks for the reply fjordlady, I have a Total Saddle Solution and I've had a Heather Moffett, both had gullets and I used/use normal numnahs with them which works/worked fine. My horse is very even and well padded :eek:, although I'm not the lightest person, I don't think I ride that heavy and I don't ride for long periods.

Have to say I agree with mobile fitters...perhaps Ill go learn an then give up the day job!!

I agree, I think as treeless saddles become more 'common' someone will become a fitter of the 'better' makes.

How about it newforest ;):)

Think main issue is there are so many different makes all having their own pads and own girths etc, and way of fitting.

There is no actual qualification for treeless saddle fitting as there is with treed. It would be nice if there could be some sort of recognised qualification, like there is with barefoot trimming.

I personally would like to go on a course to fit various saddles but i do not want to get involved in being an agent.

It would be nice is the saddle themselves were measured the same. Some are size 1,2,3 and some are inches.

There are various retailers who stock a selection of saddles, and for me this time it was a short list of the new Dream and th Freeform, based on budget, my size, Jack's comformation and what i wanted it for.

It depends on where you live if you can get a mobile fitter.

There are two main groups of treeless saddles on the market. Some with a gullet, which look more like conventional saddles, and others that have the so-called treeless saddle look without a gullet.
The treeless with a gullet in some cases a moveable one will fit more like a treed saddle. It is also more laterally stable. It will still need a treeless saddle pad but possibly the thinner type without shims (inserts), if you use a normal numnah or saddle pad it won't be large enough and you can create pressure points. It will likely have a shaped seat and possibly look a little more traditional in it's appearance.
A treeless without the gullet will need a spinal clearance treeless pad, and these saddles are not so laterally stable. The pad acts as the flocking, and spinal clearance. These will give you the bareback feeling and have a flatter seat that moulds to your bottom shape.
There can be a weight limit on the saddles without the gullet, this is due to the material being used and the rider compressing it.

It is completely dependent on your horse/pony as to how thick the pad needs to be, based on confirmation. Most treeless only have the one skirt and your stirrups are externally seen. So the tick pad doesn't neccessarily make you further away. You can buy close contact saddles that give you even more of a connection.

I think the beauty with treeless saddles is that you can fit them yourself, and tweek the padding to suit, rather than having to keep getting someone out to check it.

When I move I am planning offering a service where people can come and try a variety of saddles and pads on their horses using my facilities, and then maybe moving into traveling to people who can try the saddles:)

Get a website set up and i'll add you the links as mobile fitter.

ETA

Better Saddles stock
14 different makes of treeless AND treed saddles, and I can offer people
IMPARTIAL advice (not tied to one make and trying to make a sale).

They are an agent for most top good quality treeless saddles, offer a
trial service on all of them, and can do a fitting visit with various
makes (based in Surrey but can travel to neighbouring counties).

Just so you can tell people there is a source where they can get unbiased
advice!

Last edited:
newrider.com