Treeless Saddles - does anybody know why....

Zani

Jan 15, 2008
North Yorkshire
.....they have the really long girth straps and you have to use a dressage girth? :confused:

I love my saddle but the girthing thing is the only thing I would change. Has anyone investigated or tried shortening the girth leathers and using a normal girth (that you can tighten whilst on board!!!!!), or is there a perfectly good reason for having the straps so long (can't think of one :eek:)?

Thats a very good question. My boy never had girthing issues before I went treeless so presumably the tree takes away some of the pressure?

Also it's mentioned that by having the girth as high as you can aids stability so why not go that little bit higher and put it under a flap where we can all reach it.

Will watch the replies with interest.

It's for lateral stability. I tried putting short girth straps on a saddle and it slipped badly.

I had an ansur konklusion that had short girth straps and that was very stable, more to do with the gullet I think though.

I actually find that with the proper length dressage girth (should be high enough up the sides that the buckles are well clear of the elbows when moved back...) and on a tricky horse, tightening the girth is actually easier... Saves having to hoike your leg over the front of the flap on a bouncy excitable or young horse like with short billets...

Only thing is that I find with my horses conformation, a girth long enough to avoid his elbows mean when I really wrap my legs around him I can sometimes feel the buckles on my inner ankle/calf.

A lot of treeless saddles are also monoflap, or made with softer leathers. On the former, there is nowhere for the short billets to attach to. On the latter, girth buckles between the sweat flap and upper flap, they could damage the leather, or be uncomfortable for the rider due to leather softness...

Of course there's also the stability issue =]

Apart from the design implications due to materials, mono-flaps etc, it reduces the bulk under the riders leg and also removes another area of pressure for the horse. I have actually seen horses with muscle wastage in the shape of the girthing - one had a perfect saddle & girth shaped indentation.

I have noticed over the years though that it is mcuh easier to "trap the skin" when tightening dressage girths. It seems to be due to the girth edge because of course normally, this would be over the leather flap of a regular saddle.

If your horse gets on a with a humane girth, this can make things easier because you can tighten it with just one buckle when on board but still have equal pressure. I often fasten mine so one sits higher, making it easier for me as I am no longer lithe and supple.

How many people tighten up their girths when on board?

I used to with Maddie as she just to try and take your arm off when girthing up (she does it with a rug as well, unless she is distracted with a carrot) and I didn't mount from the ground as I couldn't get on without assistance.
My lot now I do the girth as tight as I can before I get on and then its done and I don't have to worry, if I have to get off to do a gate or similar I check girth and do up if needed before I get back on, so don't really have to worry about doing it up when I am on.

Yes why would you not tighten up the girth when on? I find if your using correct length it's not hard to reach it. In fact quicker than moving leg forwards. With saddle with no gullet its vital for stability. Mine goes up by one hole each side:)
There are however some treeless that use normal girths.
Just got neoprene girth which protects the buckles so not on horse.

Yes why would you not tighten up the girth when on? I find if your using correct length it's not hard to reach it. In fact quicker than moving leg forwards.

cos i'm short, old, stiff and canna reach;)

seriously though -- i do find it very difficult and when i finally get back on ted i'm gonna check the girth length carefully as outlined below

I actually find that with the proper length dressage girth (should be high enough up the sides that the buckles are well clear of the elbows when moved back...)

i think i have it okay -- but if not, i'll alter it

can't do the uneven ends as suggested by freeform uk as i have a stud type dressage girth which ted seems to like

I always adjust the girth when im onboard. I do one or two rounds of the school then check the girth & it usually turns out to be a hole or two too slack. Horses tend to blow themselves up a bit when you do the girth up to begin with.

I've always ridden in a dressage saddle, just cannot sit correctly on a GP, so doing up a dressage style girth is 2nd nature to me, but i do love that i just need to reach down, not hoik legs and stirrups outa the way first & then try keep the flap up as well.

Must admit the dressage girth was one of the things putting me off treeless:eek: - part of my problem was in the past I had the dressage girth too short (just above the elbow) plus my previous treeless saddle had very stiff thick billets. Luckily the Sensation has good quality billets and I now have a girth which is approximately 1 to 2" below the flap:).

Yes why would you not tighten up the girth when on? I find if your using correct length it's not hard to reach it. In fact quicker than moving leg forwards.

cos i'm short, old, stiff and canna reach;)

Hell, I'm young and flexible and short and I can't reach to do up a dressage girth while I'm mounted.

Thanks for the responses guys, I did have a vague feeling it might be a stability issue.

Am currently in the market for a smaller 22" girth as we currently have a 26" and it fastens far too close to the saddle.

Is a couple of inches below the saddle flaps the best place for the buckles to lie?

Gosh it's a tricky business all this tack stuff! :eek:

Yep, ideal is 1-2 inches below your saddle flap. It must NOT be too low - use a tape measure to check where the 22" would mean the buckles lay and then lift your horses front legs and hold it back in similar position to the 'backwards' part of a stride (so when other leg is forward) - you need to make sure his elbows are clear of the buckles. Horses have been known to have elbows fractured by repetitive knocking on too low girth buckles, but even if not that extreme, bruising can be really uncomfortable...

I don't think 1-2 inches below the saddle flap is always necessary, my boy has a 26inch girth its not right up by the saddle flap, which makes the saddle more laterally stable because it is anchored more, but its out of the way of his elbow, as you can see in the pic below.
Shayenglishtrailsaddle.jpg

Thanks for the pic, that is well and truly out the way of his elbows but also a fair way from the saddle.

My current girth, the ends will touch the bottom of the saddle flaps, and after some work I can actually lift it and fasten it over the top of the bottom flap, if that makes sense! :eek:

That second pic, can see that is right on the elbow!

Maybe my estimate measuring is out no_angel - your girth (edge to edge as apposed to buckle...) looks about 2 inches away :D and fine obviously

Yea it's not necessary - but often ideal as you rarely see in flexing a stationary horses leg their maximum movement of elbow as might happen in higher speeds or jumping or anything..personal thing - I'd rather have longer than shorted to be safe =]

newrider.com