Treeless saddle pad, summer & sheepskin

notpoodle

Jul 16, 2003
Brighton!
Visit site
is it just me or does anyone else suspect the saddlepad for the treeless saddles (i have the grandeur one that comes with the barefoot) must be quite hot in this weather? the one i have has a sheepsin style lining ...

julia
x

A little bit of info I found about sheepskin as used in numnahs:

The extremely dense nature of the wool combined with the upright position of the fibers, allows air to flow through for excellent circulation, providing padding & ideal pressure distribution, eliminating rubbing, pressure points & heat build-up on the horses back. Natural sheepskin also provides extremely high sweat absorption. Wool fibers are capable of absorbing eight times their own weight in moisture before they even begin to feel wet!

So you'll end up with a yucky, sticky numnah, but it will be nice and comfy for neddy :) I seem to be using my N.E.W. non slip pad under my Fitform at the moment, as it's so easy to just hose it off after riding :D

i dont thin its real sheepskin :rolleyes: does anyone know if it is? its the grandeur special pad. if it isnt, could i stick something lie a towel or thin numnah underneath?

julia
x

Just did another search. The wool on the Grandeur numnah is wool fleece. A little about wool fleece:

The insulating value of the wool fleece is determined largely by the pockets of air trapped within the fabric. The amount of water vapor in the air within the wool fabric is a function of the temperature and the amount of water in the fibers, and affects the heat conductivity of this air. All else being equal, when the amount of activity or the ambient temperature increases the body perspires more, the heat conductivity of the air trapped in the wool fabric increases, and the insulating value of the wool decreases. Thus wool clothing not only keeps the skin dry and warm, but also adjusts its degree of insulation to some degree to suit the amount of activity and external temperature.

Sounds like you should be okay :)

I always got a lot more sweating under the treeless than under the treed saddle, for this reason. However absorbant they are, wearing something wooly when its hot will make the horse sweat:) I've just started using my treeless again with just a suber pad under it, it gives more support and is a lot more absorbant than a fleecy numnah, so a lot less sweaty.

newrider.com