Treeless saddle angst and trails

Lookn2ride

Nov 18, 2019
I just started riding my 8 yr old Icey. He was born on my property , but due to my back injury I’m just now able to ride him. I went for a trail ride with a group and had to borrow a saddle because I could not keep my new treeless saddle from slipping. I tightened girth until there was no strap left. Will it hurt my boy to get smaller girth? I’m worried about pinching him. Do I need a slip pad then my treeless pad ?
So many questions because I’m new and everyone I ride with does not understand how hard it is to find western type tack for my short backed stocky Icelandic Gelding. Any pad / girth suggestions would be appreciated

A shorter girth isn't going to hurt him, yours sounds like it's too long. I don't know much about treeless and I think the need for pads etc depends on the saddle and the horse, the best advice I can give you is to get a fitter out and make sure it fits and is correctly set up for both of you.

A shorter girth isn't going to hurt him, yours sounds like it's too long. I don't know much about treeless and I think the need for pads etc depends on the saddle and the horse, the best advice I can give you is to get a fitter out and make sure it fits and is correctly set up for both of you.
Thanks so much. I live in a very small community filled with trails to the mountains, but everyone I will be riding with has western treed saddles. I’ve been told that Icelandic horses need a treeless saddle. So upon your suggestion and what I was thinking is trying a slip pad and a smaller girth with sheepskin to avoid pinching him. He’s a young green horse and I’m a new rider, but my first trail ride was a blast

What saddle are you using is my first question?
That would help with deciding your pad.
An Icelandic horse is the same as every horse in that they need a saddle that fits, treed or treeless.

Reactions: carthorse
@newforest I was hoping you'd find this thread, @Lookn2ride she has a lot of experience with various treeless saddles.

Icelandics have no special need for a treeless, like any other horse they just need a saddle that fits. It could be that your local saddle fitter says that because they don't have treed saddles to fit, but unless you particularly want treeless go and find a different fitter. There are plenty of Icelandics happily wearing treed saddles, ask @Frances144 !

My limited knowledge of using treeless Sensations is that the saddle pad is hugely important or they just won't work. I used Ecogold pads with Dolly's treeless but she wasnt the shape that tends toward saddle slippage anyway. If Newforest can't help hopefully Mystique will pop in at some point she is a real guru on all matters treeless.

newrider.com