Trec?

sjp1

Sep 14, 2009
YO and I are thinking of doing a TREC in August. She has done lots before - I haven't!! Tobes sure to be naughty and we are sure to get no points on anything, but anyone got any tips?

You see how little I know! What is COP? Is there a rule book I could get hold of, or websites to go on?

I did pairs with friend. We made a deal that he would trace the map and i would keep the pace. You don't really know the pace but we did a good trot and canter for the whole of the 12 miles and came in 3rd overall with points.
The next section was fun, no advice about the low branches we both scored 0.

I still have my sheet :)

Hmm, paces will certainly be a problem - Tobes is bound to walk extremely slowly and then either shoot off or refuse to canter at all!!!

Am thinking some arena work with these things and also the underneath low pole will be something to work on.

Actually, horrifyingly enough, I am quite looking forward to it. We are sure to be pants, however, I think he will thoroughly enjoy it, and so will I.

Quite right about low branches in canter. There's a great video on YouTube of Kelly Marks falling off while training to do this on Pie. And that was with Monty Roberts training her!

I love Trec but am hopelessly rubbish. Izzy is much better than me. I get nervous and rush the things like the S bend so we end up demolishing it.

We are good at the low branches at canter, anything scary or jumping. He always eats in the immobility so we lose marks for style :furious:. Then he moves his feet on the mounting or eats.

COP - a work in progress. Did one when a steam train went right by the place and Izzy nearly had heart failure - our control of paces was nowhere to be seen as we cantered as fast as possible through the poles in a crazy bending pole run away from the train.

Always loads of fun though. Did a training day on Sat on someone else's horse and he took great exception to the wooden bridge, spun and bronced up the school with me finally hitting the deck at the fence. Did get some great pics of my dismount but just waiting for the pro photographer to put them up.

You can practice using various jump wings, poles, lunge line and bamboo sticks.

I have included some of the trec obstacles etc in my groundwork. It also includes a bit of HA.
I don't know if i will go anywhere with cob but opportunity comes up, will will have had play around with things.
What I do remember about the decline was how steep it was! I would normally have led down it, i was surprised it was a ridden request!

Friend stuffed it up by breaking into canter and jumping the water. So make sure you walk, in our case two obstacles were together so he lost twenty points doing that.
We scored low on the rein back,something you can practice easily at home. Something we didn't obviously.

Last edited:
newrider.com