Trec - training before hand

I started TREC last year, it was great fun. I only did it once though because my partner fell off and broke her ankle and collarbone so has been out of action for months.

The things I practised at home:

1. Going through a really narrow corridor at w/t/c
2. Backing through same corridor
3. Make the S-Bend on the floor out of poles and practise not knocking them
4. Teach your horse to stand still on its own
5. Make sure it will stand still when you get on
6. Small jumps
7. Bending poles

The only thing I didn't do was the overhead branches which I should have done as they are the hardest thing. You can put nails into a long baton of wood, stand it in a cone and put bamboo across. You need 3-4 pairs of stands as they usually have 3+ at a competition.

It is all really friendly and informal though, so just go and give it a go! :D
Good luck!

No, I didn't go to a clinic, as we chatted to the comp organisers and they were so friendly that we felt happy to just give it a go :)

i do TREC in my club, my teacher trains us, it's a very fun discipline !
You have to practice orientation with a campass and a map because a part of the competition contains an exercice of orientation (called POR in france, I don't know for uk's calling). And for the map, you have to recopy it in less than 20 mn, so practice it too ^^

Bitsnpieces > there is websites of all the competitions with the dates and advices but I have only in french http://www.trec-france.com/index.php maybe you can find the same in english on the net (what a wonderful tool :D)

TREC is coming - we went on a fun trec in the north of England at Eston today. WE had a two hour training session without horses yesterday and a whole day today which was really training but also a small scale competition. Everybody was fantastically friendly, everybody just wanted to enjoy themselves and it was wonderful to see all the native ponies, the older riders, proper field kept horses and ponies behaving well ( mostly) and having a great time. The orienteering was more or less a pleasure ride, the organisers made sure that the canter/walk ( control of gaits) was fairly straightforward for novices, and all the obstacles were easy.
The best thing of all is that you don't have to do what you can't or don't want to! And everybody has fun and helps each other.

I can't wait for the next one in spring. I daresay the very competitive events are much more intense, but there is always a short/fun competition for those who simply want a great day out with friends and a bit more than just a hack or a pleasure ride to test themselves and horses.
Oh and you don't need to plait and brush and spend hours and hours getting stressed about a bit of mud. just get the horse there and enjoy!

Em

So pleased you enjoyed it - I'm a fellow treccie.

Used to judge and steward then got my own boy and a share horse to compete with last year.

We only did an inhand one this year with my youngster but will be out and about next year hopefully.

Any pics?

newrider.com