treatment for rug rub?

tbaynancy

Jul 27, 2009
Hoping someone can help me with this - Rusty has a small patch on his shoulder where his blanket has rubbed the hair off (never had this before). The skin isn't broken and it's not sore to touch - just wondering if there's anything I should be doing - any magic potion to put on? We still have a few more months of winter here, so leaving rug off completely is not an option.

There is something over here I've seen advertised to stop rug rubs - Bossys Bibs or something? (hopefully somebody on here will enlighten you properly). As you say, not an option leaving Rusty cold - could you just try loosening the rug staps at the front - perhaps its a little tight? One year Storm got a rub just near her chest, but it didn't look sore or anything. It went on its own obviously when Spring came and she stopped wearing a stable rug as much. Hopefully there will be some rug-experts on here!!

We put alva horse miracle cream on Charlies last spring and it worked a dream, a small ammount twice a day on affected areas until hair started growing then just left to come. we got him a bossy bib this year so no problems. none of the others suffer with them, just his changing shape and size, once he matures out then we will be able to get a correct fitting rug hopefully and not have to use it.

Thanks to both of you - are bossy bibs those lycra things that fit fairly tightly? I'll do a bit of a google search to see if that's what you mean.

Thanks for this thread - I've just ordered a bossy bib. They don't look like the stretchy lycra things, which I'm pleased about - YO had one of those for a particularly sensitive horse and it did no good at all.

Bossy bibs are more neoprene-y than lycra-y - just a little bit less stretch in them, and thicker too. A lycra undervest often does the job, but bossy bib is just a bit better.

The other thing you could do, which I do is sew something to the rug - fleece or silky material is often good :) All silvers wither bits I cover in fleece as she is prone to rubs there.

Another Bossy bibs recommendation here, also megatek re-builder is fab for re-growing the hair. It's not the cheapest but you only have to use small amounts

Thanks to all for the advice - one Bossy Bib ordered for Mr. Rusty. I'm just sorry it didn't come in lime green :redface:

Thanks to all for the advice - one Bossy Bib ordered for Mr. Rusty. I'm just sorry it didn't come in lime green :redface:

Ha ha!

Mine arrived today! I ordered it on Monday evening after I read your thread and it was waiting for me when I got home from work - that's service for you!

Unfortunately I got home too late to go across to the yard so haven't tried it on yet, will have to wait until tomorrow. It's made of a silky material, nice and simple, I think even I can work out how to use it!

newrider.com