Treating mud fever please helppp! ***

beanz's mum

Kilmucklin Girl
Jan 18, 2006
Taunton.Somerset.
due to gcse's my horse is on loan and i havent seen her in a while, well last night i went to the yard to see her and noticed mud fever on her back legs.. the woman that has her wasnt around to speak to so i couldnt discuss whether she is treating it or not. So what do i do? ive never really dealt with mudfever before :confused: whats the best cream/ ointment to apply to the affected area? im going down again today to discuss with the current loaner this situation and if she has not noticed either i want to treat gee myself to ensure that she is treated correctly (not that she wouldnt be but it saves me worrying) and i can keep a close eye on her legs too! so help and advice really appreciated guys!! :) x

due to gcse's my horse is on loan and i havent seen her in a while, well last night i went to the yard to see her and noticed mud fever on her back legs.. the woman that has her wasnt around to speak to so i couldnt discuss whether she is treating it or not. So what do i do? ive never really dealt with mudfever before :confused: whats the best cream/ ointment to apply to the affected area? im going down again today to discuss with the current loaner this situation and if she has not noticed either i want to treat gee myself to ensure that she is treated correctly (not that she wouldnt be but it saves me worrying) and i can keep a close eye on her legs too! so help and advice really appreciated guys!! :) x

this is what i did, and it cleared up in 1-2 weeks,
boil the kettle, put the water in a bucket, put cold water in it so it is warm, not too hot not too cold, add a squirt of hibiscrub (pharmasist or tack show) around £4 for a decent sized bottle mix it up, you should be able to smell the hibiscrub in the bucket, get cotten wool or a really soft brush (i used a soft head brush) and bathe the affected area, leave it for 5 mins, then wash off with cold water, dry legs of as much as possible with a towel, then put some sudo cream as a barrier, repead daily till it has cleared up, you will see results within a week !
hope this helped :)

You need to keep the area out of wet/muddy situations as much as possible.
I've found Lantern's mud fever has healed a lot better being allowed to breath without any barrier creams etc. Every night when he comes in i put a bit of sudocrem on it then leave it until the next night.

If it does get muddy, for example when ridden make up a hibiscrub mixtures and wash it with a sponge, no brushed as it will irritate it even more. Rinse then towel dry it then let it air off, always put sudocrem on after being washed as the area will most likely be quite sore.

It's worked fine for Lantern's, just really try and keep it out of mud or wet areas though :)

i agree with keeping it out of wet and muddy areas, but out of interest how long till your mud fever healed up?
mine was just over a week :eek::eek:

thyankyouuu alll! this has really helped! i did google, but it came up with complex methods and involved shaving her legs aswell! :eek: no no no! Lol

the muddy area is by the field gate... itsso deep and thick urgh, and being the only exit and entrance when shegoes out and in she has no choice but to go through it, hopefully with all this beautiful weather hopefully it will dry and that will help me treat her legs :)

thankyou again! :D im so so so greatful !

Tbh so long as she's not standing in it (maybe fence it off?) and you wash it after she's come through it then that would be fine. I did cut Lantern's mini feathers off but mud-fever was an excuse to cut more of his hair off really! I haven't shaved it though. Biggest tip though make sure it is bone dry before applying sudocrem else it will just end up even worse :)

Hope she's better soon!

newrider.com