treating a nasty fly bite/sting

eventerbabe

Dec 16, 2004
Toby has a huge bite/sting on his belly :( theres a bit of heat in it but he's not uncomfortable, just means no riding for a few days, unless i try bareback. how would you recomend i treat this? years back when my loan pony had a wasp sting in a similar place we just cold hosed it to get the heat out of it. anyone got any tips for lotions/potions to apply to help? i think i remember reading on a previous thread about the carr, day and martin lavender soothing lotion. is that good stuff? we have a bottle somewhere in the tackroom.

The best cream to put on a fly bites is anti histamine (not sure of spelling there) its what humans use too and it does seem to take the swelling down

thanks, i'll try that. when i got out to the yard yesterday he'd another 2 big fly bites despite being lathered in fly repellent and creams!!

Piriton is supposed to be good - never tried it myself.

I don't think its really worth calling a vet, IMHO.

my mare just got a similar bite almost at the girth line and we have lessons tomorrow - I'm not sure she'll be able to be ridden I washed it and put on antibiotic cream as it was like a cut as well as swollen, I think she pawed herself trying to get the bug.

vinegar is good for all stings and bites, its like an antispetic also good for humans.

My mare last year rolled in an ants nest and got bitten all over, vet had to give her an anit-histamine (sp) injection which did they trick in no time.

I probably would use an oil based product called 'Calm Coat'.
If he seems to be having a reaction to the bite then I would also consider giving him Anihist (an over-the-counter antihistamine for horses)

newrider.com