Travelling without partition

Bessy

Jun 20, 2005
Wilts & Glos
Having been told by numerous "experts" that travelling a single horse without a central partition is better for them, and because my horse can be a nightmare to load (more maneouvering space without it) - I have over the last month been travelling without the partition.

However, I'm now not convinced this is a good idea with her!! She likes to nosey out of the window, and more recently I felt the trailer moving around a lot, and I could see she was moving a lot through the back window (new ifor so has long front window). So I had someone follow me, and what she does is look out one window for a few minutes, then rocks to the otherside to look out the other window, then moves to eat some hay ... then repeat the sequence, moving side to side in almost a slow weave motion. This can't be safe for my trailer and her moving so much must unstable it. When she travels with the central partition she doesn't weave at all. She looks out the side window and eats her hay quite happily.

Does anyone else find travelling without a partition doesn't work for them?

I have only once travelled a single horse without partition and
do not feel it is safe. My horse travels much better with partition although
over the past couple of years it seems dare I say it to be "fasionable" to
travel without the partition. They still manage to spread their legs and find balance with the partition - so do what you feel comfortable with.

i now travel my horse with no partition and i have 2 lead ropes in the trailer at all times which i attach to her headcollar, this lets her look around but bot get her head right round to look backwards. My horse is 16.2 IDx and my trailer is a ifor 505, i found she couldnt get her legs wide enough to balance with the patition so when we went round bends, roundabouts she was thumping quite a lot. Now we have no noise at all.

when i bought my horse i was told not to travel with partitions.... she's 16hh ISH and without partitions she trots up and stands eagerly waiting the journey! i also cross tie to prevent her moving too much. she travels without a peep = in fact the first few tmies i travelled her i kept asking OH to look back and check she was still there as she's soo quiet!
i wouldn't try travelling her with partitions - just not worth it - if it's not broke.... ;)

Mine falls over with the full partitions in place. I sent him to 'loading school' and they travelled with him, in different configurations. Turns out he likes the front half of the partition in and the back side out. You could try this - keeps the head end in place, but allows the back end to move, and the legs to splay out!

Mine falls over with the full partitions in place. I sent him to 'loading school' and they travelled with him, in different configurations. Turns out he likes the front half of the partition in and the back side out. You could try this - keeps the head end in place, but allows the back end to move, and the legs to splay out!

i was just going to post a question asking about this!
i was wondering if my horse would travel better if i either removed the rear panel/partition or clipped it back to the other side?
i have a 510 ivor williams trailer and trying to think what the best thing to do is.
what trailer have you got and what do you do/have you done with the back piece of the partition?

I found traveling without a partition worked wonderfully for my horse AS HE HATES NARROW SPACES. I cross tied him so that he had enough room to balance using his head but not enough to turn around.

I did have an aquaintance whose horse could only travel with a partion in as it sort of leant against it for balance and panicked if it wasnt there. I have seen old style trailers with partions to the floor pulled accross so that the horse is almost traveling at a slant.

I think if your horse is bouncing from one side to the other for a nosy and travels alright with partions I would put them back in so that the trailer is more stable.

Hi i might be incorrect but i am sure it is not legal to travel without a partion.
I am not sure the reason, i guess safety, but i'm sure i have heard it from someone whos job is as a horse transporter. Unfortunatly the said person is in France so can't check.

it's not against the law to transport a single horse in a trailer without the partition. you can't transport 2 horses without the partition.
horse transporters have to adhere to slightly stricter rules and laws when transporting.

you can buy the breast and breach bars (full length) and you should always travel a horse with them in place. it is safer to tie/cross tie a horse when travelling to prevent it from turning around but you shouldn't tie it up so tight that it can't at least look around.

There was an article in the equestrian section of a local paper last week by a well known vet, he was saying it was much better to travel without partitions. I don't have any personal experience though!

i was just going to post a question asking about this!
i was wondering if my horse would travel better if i either removed the rear panel/partition or clipped it back to the other side?
i have a 510 ivor williams trailer and trying to think what the best thing to do is.
what trailer have you got and what do you do/have you done with the back piece of the partition?

Perfectly legal, I have a 510, and I remove the back part of the partition and use a full width breach bar, the front half of the partition, and split breast bars. My horse is a chunk 16.3hh clydesdale cross, and TBH only just fits in with the partitions in, so I can see why he panics. However he likes to lean his shoulder against the front part of it - I have travelled behind him and watched how he moves around, and he bends around the vertical post like a banana round corners!

Could you try borrowing some full width bars and try him - follow close behind, or even stand on the bar at the back and hang onto the handles (if on a private road for short journeys!).

newrider.com