Travelling my baby? Questions!

*Sez*

Salsa & Solstice Twilight
Sep 12, 2003
North Yorkshire
salsachronicles.blogspot.com
I have to get River to the vets this week but I'm struggling to find transport :rolleyes: I have a few people to call in the morning, but one person has already turned me down because she's a baby. The biggest trouble is that I don't know how well she will load, and since I no longer have my own trailer I'm not in a position to park it at the field for a few days to practise loading, feeding her in it, etc. Her only experience of travelling was when she travelled to me with her dam.

I'll definitely book for at least an hour in advance so that we're not rushed for time and stable her beforehand so that we're not wasting time trying to get them in (as they always seem to know something is going on and hide out at the bottom of the field). Salsa loads nicely and travels well, but I'm not sure whether to actually travel Salsa to the vet and back with her or whether I'd be better off using him to lead her in and out a few times, then try travelling her alone? The only trouble with Sal is that he has a tendancy to get silly and overwrought on arrival (probably from the excitement of arriving at racetracks) so I don't want two daft thoroughbredy types to try to load again at the vets to get home.

Obviously, her experience at the vets isn't going to be pleasant, as she is getting sedated for an examination and x-rays, so I don't want to make this whole travelling thing any more frightening or distressing for her than it needs to be. Ideally, I need to trade in Salsa's brain for a calmer companion but keep his loading skills!

My other query is about passports. I was under the impression that she had one, but it was "forgotten" when she travelled to me and then when I bought her, I was told they "hadn't got round to it", so I've applied for one for her but it hasn't arrived yet. I kept a copy of the paperwork, so will that be enough proof?

When i got Jasper he had only been out of a stable twice since weaning and hardly led anywhere. We just took our time and didn't rush him, he travelled fine and came of the other end not even sweated up. Not travelled him again since but i think he'll be fine

Kelly Marks maintains that the best travellers and loaders are those that travelled with their dams so I would think you are already in a good position for success, and the remainder of the sedatives will assist in the journey home.

newrider.com