travelling in big box

dancing lucy

May 23, 2008
stalybridge
Just a quick question are people allowed to be carried in the living quarters of a big horse box, I would think not as there would be no seat belts. This has come about as we are going on a beach trip soon and there is no room for any passengers in the box but some people on the yard think we could travel in living bit Im gonna go in my car anyway.

Don't risk it Lucy! If motorhome code is anything to go by every forward-facing passenger seat must have MOT'd seatbelts and not advisable for side facing seats. It's not just the law to worry about, it's the 'what ifs....'

Travelling in living accommodation

First, I agree with the don't do it answer.

Legally however it is a bag of worms.

Yes, current legislation says seat belts must be worn "if fitted" - no seat belts fitted - can't be worn. Depending on vehicle age then retro fitting may have been a requirement.

However as for sideways seats it is accepted that it is safer to be thrown violently around the inside of a vehicle than it is to be twisted umpteen different ways by a 'sideways' seatbelt.

Let's face it neither option sounds good.

Also remember that there is a limit as to how many passengers you can carry on your driving licence - this varies depending on when you passed the test.

However - overall I remain firmly of the opinion that it isn't a good idea even if it is actually legal.

newrider.com