Traveller and Gypsy. How Do They Find Farrier?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Sorry if this is totally thick.
But if they move around how do the horses get done?

Is there someone they know that does it? Qualified or not?

Most probably trim themselves, some don't trim and the horses have long feet and some don't trim but horses do fair bit of work on roads and self trim. Some have a high turnover of horses so they buy/ sell/ trade etc.

There is also not that many travellers now with horses that continue to move around, most have semi- permanent or permanent land or just refuse to move.

And some where I live use a regular farrier.

And one where I live is under investigation for claiming to be a farrier, shoeing horses for anyone who asks and making a real pigs ear - isn't qualified at all.

Not sure where he gets his shoes from though

My farrier does the local ones for free!

See, now on the one hand I think that's lovely and very kind and at least the horses get their feet done by someone decent ..... but on the other hand it makes me cross that although they can afford to have their horses feet done, they for what ever reason - choose not too and get a freebie....

The ones that were on my yard didn't have them done in the 3 months they were there and one had a loose shoe when he got to us which subsequently fell off.

A lot of the gypsy families do their own, it's a skill that gets passed down...... Then there are the others that do it themselves despite the fact they don't have a clue!!

newrider.com