Transition resistance - chiro out today!

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
So ale has an interesting resistance to canter transistions all of a sudden.

Worse on the right rein that the left. No problem at all cantering when not ridden. My instructor has told me to ride him through it but this seems to of made things
worse. (by this she simply ment keep leg on and use whip to back up leg if need be)

He has gone to slight head raising and taking a few strides to canter, last time I rode he was doing a couple of bucks and really throwing his head up before cantering, so clearly not happy.

So today I took it very easy. He was offering a lovely forward smooth trot and so I just sat and squeezed with my legs and he popped very nicely into canter. Lots of praise. Repeat a few times but slightly more resistance the next couple of times. Once he is cantering no resistance at all. I'm just focusing on transistions at the moment so just ask for a few strides then bring him back most of the time but occasionally ask him to continue round the school or do a circle.

I'm really stumped. No resistance cantering on hacks or if asked to canter following a buddy in the school is more than happy to, funny that!

He had his teeth done about 2 months ago.Saddle checked recently and she said him back felt great. Also chiro recently who
again said he feels great and no problems. And he doesn't seem lame/stiff at all.

Sorry that was very long. So basically when I ask for canter he just throws his head up to the outside and takes a few strides to pop into canter. Seems worse on the right rein. But its not consistent. Today for the first few he was fine, then was stressy for one, then pretty much fine again. Any tips, advice, hints ect please!

With it being sudden even though you've had his teeth checked and he sees a chiro I would still be inclined to suspect a medical reason. If he had always been prone to doing it then not, but seeing as it's a new thing.... But I don't know what to suggest. And you say no obvious lameness? Can you have a chat with your vet? Sure his tack is not rubbing anywhere? I know it sounds silly but you haven't started using a different type of saddle cloth or anything that could be sticking or rubbing but only when he canters?

Had my I instructor watch and he's deffo not lame. Lots of people have watched and said they can't see any obvious pain/stiffness. I will check all his tack again and see if I can find a reason, thanks for the ideas. Also think I will get someone else to ride and see if he reacts the same, perhaps it is my riding!

I think I'd try another jockey then possibly be looking to get a chiro or osteo to assess him and me given its sudden onset, given he canters out ok but thats straight lines and probably not working into as much of a contact?

This sounds very similar to my horse. on the left rein the transition into canter is fine not a problem and the feel of the canter is fine, but on the right rein a lot more resistance to popping into canter and also feels his front legs are doing a canter stride and back legs still trotting.

It's be interesting what to see what your outcome is. :)

And I'm dreading it. I'd had the physio it turns out so getting the chiro today see if they can shed any light. Fingers crossed he's okay!

How stupid am I didn't know there was a difference between chrio and physio haha

It's interesting that you have posted this as mine has started to be a little like this on one rein. No issues in the fields as I took her out there in the same session.
I have always had issues in the school. She can't as yet do a whole lap. But sometimes she canters, sometimes resists. Never resists in a field.
My RI actually said because of her build and bulk that it's a big ask in the school anyway for her.

We have done the usual back, tack, teeth, vet trot up flexion etc.
I don't think it's necessarily your riding, but it could be your saddle influencing how you sit and hence ride. I have two saddles currently, both fit but both alter my riding depending on what one I use.

Ah turns out he had pulled something in his back end, probably from rough play in the field. Hopefully now she has worked the muscle and a few days rest he will be better! Was amazing to watch. Ale is very stand off ish to new people and went from pulling faces to falling in love with her as she worked along his back. He was really enjoying it and dozed off afterwards. I wonder if I could try and learn basic horse massage? Maybe a good way for me and him to bond. Wonder if there are courses on such a thing

Reactions: Jessey
He was really enjoying it and dozed off afterwards. I wonder if I could try and learn basic horse massage? Maybe a good way for me and him to bond. Wonder if there are courses on such a thing

Glad he's feeling better :) I did the first two stages of my Equine Massage Diploma and it was wonderful and quite amazing how trusting horses were once they realised you were going to make it better not worse! There are definitely people who offer one/two day courses and I've seen some people who will come to your yard and do a workshop complete with painted ponies etc (although I'd check their credentials out carefully as anyone can call themselves a therapist). If you want a good book to dip in to in the meantime, I can really recommend this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sports-Massage-Horses-Pennie-Hooper/dp/1872119875

I thought it explained everything really clearly and meant I had half a clue what was happening when I finally did start my course.

Reactions: AliciaA
newrider.com