Training Suze

Suze ridden for the first time in the winter field. I walked her out first and long reined her then she was ridden from the yard, through two gates, along rough ground and then up a bit of the hill and back across. Did it three times, this is her coming back the final time where she has to walk across mud control mats, through two gates and then halt. She was walking really nicely, it's difficult as she is in a big space, but she was moving on, and not relying on her rider for balance, she was self supporting, didn't have a touch on her except to steer.

Reactions: Jessey
She did some more riding in the field yesterday, accompanied by four German Shepherds running around next door and woofing, and Harrison poodle running up and down the garden woofing at them.....She did try to run through the bridle a few times and found it a bit harder, but did 2 circuits. Today gave her a break from riding, groomed her then was going to take her a little walk on the road. Took her up via the garden and there was the supermarket delivery van doors open unloading. So she managed to approach it, walk around it, stand while he reversed with his bleeping on then followed the van out the gate and onto the road. Very pleased with her. She had a little walk along the road then back to the yard where she opened the gate and locked it and out she went after treats. Very good girl

What a clever Suze. I rode her to the yard gate, which she managed to open, then along the road. First time on the road under saddle. She met the neighbours walking a dog and walked past them, then a car came out from another house. Asked them to wait, which they did, so she walked towards it then turned left up to the house entrance, walking past a bike propped up. Through the garden, out the other gate back along the road and into the yard. She wasn't quite able to close the gate but otherwise did really well. She was walking out happily, tensed a little when she saw the car and the people but nothing drastic. Very proud of her.

Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
Had another walk outside, in hand this time, up past the church and all the cars parked, and then on towards the path that goes through the woods. A car was coming and stopped for us, she coped with it well, so we turned and came back, practicing walk halt all the way. I had planned to go on a bit further but she was so good with the car better to reward her for that than push her on a bit further.

Today she went a walk up the road, past where she got last time. This time when she stopped I asked her to go on till we got to the track in the woods. Once she was in there, she was off. Lost her whoa and had to re-find it. Came out of woods, went past some houses then back down the hill to the road. Had a good look at the van parked at the graveyard and inspected it closely then home. Did very well.

Reactions: Huggy
"Lost her whoa", I love it. Ziggy was always mislaying his!
I rely a lot of voice and she usually is crisp to halt but she was so excited we had to do some turns backing up etc to remind her of it as it was slippery and i was in my wellies. But she found it again and got back to immediate halt without an aid

We did another walk out in hand today, she was quite fizzy when she got off the main lane, so we ended up going further than planned, to get her listening again in case we met traffic. She was out for an hour, so she will be tired but she walked past wheelie bins, horses, dogs, met several cars and coped very well. We had issues with lost whoa again but found it.

newrider.com