Training/schooling aids

cluelessmolly

Apr 13, 2005
I have been told a number of different things by a number of different people and they have left me a little confused!
i have a 3 1/2 yr old that has been back and ridden but I want to continue his lungeing to make him more balanced. Could I use a training aid to do this? and if i do which one? people have recomended me the 'lungie bungie' produced by the fredericks. Any ideas?...

Hey there

I've suggested this a few times, because I love it hehe. The Pessoa system .. this will help your youngen to learn to streeeetch down, and while doing so to get balance :)

Going over poles is also a good help, and just remember to keep the circle large. Such a young horse needs large circles - deffantly smaller ones will be harder.

You dont necessarily need aids to help fasten the process .. just take your time, be patient, and encourage her :)

I haven't heard any good reports on the lungie bungie. In fact my old boss got one and it was rubbish. Like cheeky i like the pessoa but also find chambons very useful as the help build the top line and allow the to stretch. However i also do believe that there is no gadget that makes up for a proper schooling session as the all have there downfalls

Hey there

Just a tip - if you are going to get an aid (which can be very useful in the right hands), make sure you are getting one that help your horse work from the back, to the front. Make sure your horse is working from the hind quaters, and not being forced into an outline, creating incorrect muscle.

The Pessoa gentley encourages backend work, whilst lowering the head, and gaining balance. Lovely piece of equipment, easy maintinance, and easy to use.

newrider.com