Training Nervous Horse

jumpergal

Sep 7, 2008
alberta canada
I have a new 6 year old jumping horse. When I went to try him out he was great. He is sound healthy and I didn't have a problem riding him. I bought him. In August he came and I rode him 3 days after. When I started riding him he was terrible, he spooked at everything I can't go faster then a walk without him bolting off. I have tried lunging but he tries to run away, I have used every thing I read or heard about. I'm going to be scared of this horse soon if I don't do somthing!!:eek::eek::eek: Please tell me if you have heard about any training tips that might help. I'm willing to try anything.

Thanks for your help, Jumpergal

P.S. I have tried calming herbs but they didn't help.:eek:

He's still settling in, give him time and while you are doing that do loads and loads of groundwork. (Kelly Marks Perect Manners is very helpful) He needs to trust you and want to be with you, go slowly for both of you so you can maintain your trust of him too and not get scared. Good luck.

I've had my new mare since April and I would still say she is settling in and we are getting to know each other.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm going to PM you.

Also did you have him vetted?? I am asking as the most important thing is to make sure he is well in himself, i.e back, teeth, saddle etc etc

Any of the above not being right could cause the problems you are stating,
x

sounds like he's still settling in a bit & needs to learn to trust you.

Take some time to get to know him & bond with him - spend some time with him in the field, lots of time grooming etc, talk to him so he learns your voice and knows you're going to be nice to him.

Take your time with riding - if he's only comfortable in walk then start by doing most of your ride in walk, introduce short spurts of trot down the long side of the school then go slightly longer, if he starts to get nervous again then come back to walk, talk to him, stroke his shoulder til he calms down & then try again - same goes with canter etc.

I've had my horse for 5 years now & still have to go through the above process from time to time because he gets himself in a panic.

I also taught him voice commands (steady, woah etc) so that if he took off in a panic he would listen to my voice which would calm him down.

I can recommend clicker training as a way to bond with your horse and calm him down. He will have some successes at knowing exactly what you want him to do and that will make him more confident with you.

I could see right away that my RS horse felt very smart and happy when he was getting the right answer.

When I went to try him out he was great. He is sound healthy and I didn't have a problem riding him. I bought him. he came and I rode him 3 days after. When I started riding him he was terrible, he spooked at everything I can't go faster then a walk without him bolting off.

Did you have bloods drawn during the pre-purchase vetting? If you did, have your vet test the original blood and draw new samples to re-test now.

If you did not have that done (I have a feeling that you may not have) then I think that you might well have bought a troublesome young horse who was 'treated' in some way for an easy sale.

I think there is unlikely to be an easy, simple answer, unfortunately.

However, it would be worth making sure that the horse has a high-forage diet - no corn and low-protein - with as much turn-out in as large an area as possible, with energetic young companions, in order that mere excess energy can be ruled out of the equation.

just take it slowly. find out what hes comfortable with and start with that, itroduceing tiny bits of more scary stuff. when he stops panicing or goes past something he thinks mivht eat him, give him lots of praise, or if he panics, stop him in a place where hes comfortable and calm him down. remember to talk to him in a calm tone. also, things like parelli, or anything natural horsemanship or groundwork will help you build a strong bond. the more you learn to trust one and other, the better things will get
good luck! x

Hi, I used to have a spooky boy. Things got worse when he reared and I fell of so denting my confidence but I knew that if I didn't get back on I would just become scared of him. I started by riding in company. Have you got anyone else who you can go out with as another horse should give him some security. I also found that I had to make a supreme effort to block out any nerves or anticipation of 'what he might do' because he could sense it from me. I worked with him on the ground a lot (I did Parelli) so that he could look to me as a leader. I tried to set up a lot of hazards to desensitize him. All of this took months. He would be frightened of loads of stuff, prams, bikes or anything with wheels scared him to death, he would spin and try to run away. Motorbikes he never got over and we still had this problem when I sold him - in fact he bolted with me several times because of them. Also he bolted when an invalid carriage came up behind us. I did however manage to be able to hack him alone eventually on roads and tracks and I found that I always had to be very alert i.e. looking ahead all the time while being conscious of what was going on round me. One track ran over an open field and he would always be on his toes here like he was scared of being out in the open. He bolted with me here for no apparent reason that I could see. Start off small and even if you are only walking, it doesn't matter as long as you don't feel scared so it transmits to the horse making him worse. I found that it was necessary to put my stirrups up a hole or two to give me a better seat in case he did jump to the side when there was a clump of grass that was a different colour to the rest. I found that if he came to a complete stop because of something he had seen then I would give him a moment to digest it and then ask him to go forward quietly but persistently. If he whipped round, I would just carry on the circle and make him face back round the way we were going. Sometimes I would just sit it out and eventually he got bored and would walk on.

I also note that you haven't had him very long and I think that it does take a long time for a horse to completely settle into his new life. When I had all these issues above, I had moved my horse 3 times since having him within 3 months which did not help at all however the final yard was great and he was much better after 6 months. He was a big girls blouse really and he was worse if he knew I was scared.

I think it will take time and patience, lots of rewarding him so he knows when he has done well but I am sure it will all come good for you.

newrider.com