Training my pony

Dksayle8690

Jun 28, 2022
Hi there I am a new first time owner I have a miniature cob around 11hh his nature is beautiful and so loving but all his life he is 6 he has never t been handled a lot but that doesn’t phase him or me I have him now standing in command for head collar and bath / grooming no problem however he is quite lazy and a little stubborn I’m getting him used to head collar let’s me put on perfect but then when we want to lead he will be very stubborn to get going I’ve only had him around 4 weeks so I know patience and time is a must but any tips

Welcome to the forum.
You need to teach him to lead.

As a first time owner, you have taken on a pony that is a blank canvas, uneducated.

Pressure and release is what I would suggest.
So ask with feel and release when you get a step forward.
You might benefit from some instruction. Nothing wrong in that.

I would drop the word stubborn, for doesn't understand, unsure.

Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
Where would be the best place to find this professional to help?
I say stubborn as sometimes he will do it perfectly sometimes he won’t . It is a learning curve for us both hence joining this forum

Where would be the best place to find this professional to help?
I say stubborn as sometimes he will do it perfectly sometimes he won’t . It is a learning curve for us both hence joining this forum
I would suggest that you ask around your local area for a freelance instructor. Perhaps get suggestions from friends, yard owner etc. Or post on a local facebook group asking for suggestions. Educating a young horse is such an important job and one that needs to be done correctly from the start. I don't think that it is fair on the horse to learn from the internet as you go along, you need to be shown what to do by someone experienced otherwise you run the risk of ruining the horse and creating bad habits which will last for life.

Reactions: carthorse
I would suggest that you ask around your local area for a freelance instructor. Perhaps get suggestions from friends, yard owner etc. Or post on a local facebook group asking for suggestions. Educating a young horse is such an important job and one that needs to be done correctly from the start. I don't think that it is fair on the horse to learn from the internet as you go along, you need to be shown what to do by someone experienced otherwise you run the risk of ruining the horse and creating bad habits which will last for life.
Yes I understand that , and it’s no internet training it’s just what I know so far anyway on the other hand I’ve have some one starting next week on a weekly basis so thanks for the advice

newrider.com