Training Help

cooner1

Sep 7, 2007
I have a 5 years old horse that has not been ridden in about 1 year and is green broke. Before I started ridding him I figured that I better do some ground work. Well I have finished Clinton Anderson first ground series DVD collection. The horse is doing fine, and is not spooky or anything like that. I still have the ground series 2 & 3 yet to finish. I guess what my question is; do I need to finish all the ground series before I climb on his back…???

Thanks!

Not at all. The more ground work the better your horse will be but at this point I would say your horse is probably ready for some ridden work. Do you plan on getting the Riding with Confedence or colt breaking DVD's? Only YOU know weather or not your horse is ready to be ridden, we cant tell you without seeing him. If you feel you trust your horse and your horse trusts you and he is respectful on the ground then I say go ahead. Are you working with a trainer? The DVD's are a great help but if you arn't experienced training a young horse may not be for you you may need at least a riding instructer on the ground helping you out.

Oh good ol' Auzzie!! hehehe ..

Groundwork makes the horse .. basically IMO.

Honey and I did 2 months of groundwork, then another month of lighter groundwork and light riding. About 2 years ago, I tried min. groundwork. I can see the biggest difference!!

Do as much groundwork you think you need. But don't stop just coz your riding! Keep going :) Me and Honey did some today .. she's really cued into me. I can free lunge her, jog away and she'll follow, stretched down, up, left and right ..

Go the ground work . . I'm an adict :rolleyes:

newrider.com