Training for 1day event, help!

4eva bankrupt

due to horses
Nov 5, 2005
Norfolk
Hiya,
I am hoping to take my pony to our first one day event on the 27th of August at Little Downham, which is still over a month away, but I want to make sure she is fit enough and we have all the correct equipment.

So how much work should I have her doing to ensure she is fit enough, currently we do about 1hr walk with a lot of trot and canter about 3/4 days a week, I can ride everyday, or lunge at least so what should I be aiming to do.

Hopefully I am going XC schooling on Monday, this will be mine and my ponies first "proper" time XC so does anyone have any hints or tips for me.

Also I never taken her to a dressage comp either, would this be advisable?

Finally is there any other preperations i need to take into account or any special tack etc I will need.

Sorry if post sounds a bit vague, but if anyone has any advice it will be greatly appriciated

4eva bankrupt said:
Hiya,
I am hoping to take my pony to our first one day event on the 27th of August at Little Downham, which is still over a month away, but I want to make sure she is fit enough and we have all the correct equipment.

So how much work should I have her doing to ensure she is fit enough, currently we do about 1hr walk with a lot of trot and canter about 3/4 days a week, I can ride everyday, or lunge at least so what should I be aiming to do.

Hopefully I am going XC schooling on Monday, this will be mine and my ponies first "proper" time XC so does anyone have any hints or tips for me.

Also I never taken her to a dressage comp either, would this be advisable?

Finally is there any other preperations i need to take into account or any special tack etc I will need.

Sorry if post sounds a bit vague, but if anyone has any advice it will be greatly appriciated

With Floss she gets an hours schooling every night and then we go do a couple of hills (about 15 mins) and cool off on the way home. She gets a break with a hack one day a week. This means she is always fit. However, build your horses fitness up slowly as in don't do too much to quickly. I have noticed though that if Floss is not rode for one day then she can be like a coiled spring the day after she isn't ridden as she is that fit.

Im going to that tooooo (hopefully)

As the ground is very flat I personally take mine off grass there, you reach the time there easily at a good forward canter. I just ride normally everyday and my horse hasnt had a problem there. From what you've said i think your horse will be fine.

The ground is normally quite good there but mine has studs in for jumping there....... might be a thought.

Would be a good idea to go to a nice friendly dressage comp first :)

An idea would be to see what your horse is like with skinny fences as in the 2'9 and 3'0 classes last year there was skinny logs that caught a few out.

Thanks for your replies.

Charlotte+jill! Cool might see you there, I'll be the one with the white and purple pony making a compete ar*e of myself :eek: Thanks for the tips, I should hopefully be doing a SJ and dressage show 2weeks before the event as a test run, then hopefuly if we manage ok there we've just got to worry about the XC.

We'll ony be doing the novice which is 2'3" . As for the studs she doesn't have any shoes on so not a possiblity, do you think this will affect her.

4eva bankrupt said:
I am hoping to take my pony to our first one day event on the 27th of August.Hopefully I am going XC schooling on Monday, this will be mine and my ponies first "proper" time XC so does anyone have any hints or tips for me.

So glad to see I'm not the only one who entered a ODE after only ever having done XC once! :rolleyes:

I didn't do anything special to get mine fit - he's 17hh and the jumps were 2'3" so not a lot of effort involved! He's used to being schooled for an hour with lots of trotting and cantering, does plenty of hacking including steep hills, and was jumped once a week the few weeks before the ODE.

I was lucky in that my sj was indoors, but I didn't use studs for the dressage or xc and he was fine. Bare feet are not as slippy as metal shoes on grass so you should be ok.

Good luck and enjoy yourself! :D

Ohh you'll be fine over the 2'3 course without studs :) My little mare did it couple of years back with only front shoes no studs easy as pie no slipping etc.. The 2'3 course there is a really nice introductory course and shortish so dont worry bout fitness.

I be there on a greyish thing with my mum doing her PC mum act ;) bless her! Prob i'll be looking stupid too its will be mr.s first ever ODE! time for him to show his colours me thinks!

Best of luck with your showjumping and dressage and just enjoy it all. :)

edited to add: if you have any more questions feel free to PM me and ill help out if i can :)

newrider.com