training aids.....

IrishDQ

Mar 14, 2006
Ireland
Whats the opinion on training aids? like the chambon, de gogue, etc.
Are they OK to use or are they sort of like cheating? a quick fix? :confused:

I feel they are fine to use - IF you know what you are doing and are using them correctly and not overdoing it or relying on them. It can be handy to help a horse get the idea of where you are aiming for but they should not be used to force a horse into a shape.

As far as cheating goes - I dont really care how I get there as long as both me and my horse are happy in the process. Some folk said I was "cheating" because I got my youngster professionally backed and didnt do it myself - I'm now out having a ball and my confidence is on the up - I'm so glad I did it that way:D.

Really, I'm not a fan but it all comes down to safety & happiness for horse and rider...

So many of these "aids" seem very victorian & severe & i have the type of horse who will just not function if she's not allowed to be comfortable.

I also don't believe in the "when used by an experienced person" thing as I know so many novices/single horse owners who really pay attention to what their horse is telling them but those who turn around lots of horses, have bums of superglue and years of experience may MAKE the horse do something, if that makes sense.

However, I let my horse poke her nose out most of the time as long as the power's coming from behind so my opinion means nothing!!!

<edited>

However, I let my horse poke her nose out most of the time as long as the power's coming from behind so my opinion means nothing!!!

if you have the power coming from behind, why let it all fall out of the front? thats just a waste of effort.

as for the OP, no aid is a cheat aslong as you dont rely on it or loose sight of what you are trying to achieve (self carriage/outline etc)
used correctly there is nothing barbaric about them just encouraging and showing the horse what you want- especially useful for retraining older horses.

newrider.com