Training a mane to sit on the "right" side.

Mmmm, it's a complete pain tbh. The only method I've found to work is to really soak the mane with water, brush it over to the correct side and then do a series of little plaits (just ordinary girlie ones, not show ones). Leave them for 3 or 4 days, then take them out, give it a brush and do it again. Don't pull them too tight at the top or the horse will rub it's mane. Eventually the mane will stay over, but you do have to keep it a little on the longer side so the weight holds it down - if you pull it too short it stands up like a mohican :D

I had one horse who's mane just would NOT stay on the right side no matter what I did - I hogged him!

A friend of mine has just done that by plating the mane on the correct side in one long plait (stallion braid...I think). It did take a few weeks but has stayed put on the correct side. Another option is to wait for winter, as weather is too warm now and your horse will sweat but you can brush the mane to the desired side damp it down to keep it in place and put something like a snuggy hood on to keep the mane in place untill it stays in right direction.

We did it by just brushing the mane over everytime we groomed him and dampening it. Its getting there one year later ;)

I have tried braiding Skye's to the correct side about six or seven times, leaving them in a few days, brushing them out, re-braiding for around 3-4 weeks each try, each time it works it's way back the other within a few weeks, so I've given up fighting it, I just plait to the proper side when he's required to be plaited.

newrider.com