training a horse to barrel race

alliecatalex

Aug 29, 2004
Washington (USA)
Visit site
:p Haha....well with our horses combined...they would make the perfect barrel horse! I ride this older quarter horse mare, and in her younger days she would have been such a good barrel racer...she also turns on the dime, but speed is just not her thing. What kind of horse do you have?

PePpAcOrN

Sep 12, 2004
Australia
Visit site
He is a 14yo,15hh quaterhorse cross something :D Bay... three white socks with a star and snip.. and pidgeon toes!! (maybe they help him turn hahahaha) he is really speedy.. but i'm a bit nervouse so i don't let him go too fast.. he has bolted with me once and it shook me up a bit.. (greyhounds came running out at him and he's scared of dogs) poor boy!! But he is just so quick on his feet.. like a cat but still feels nice and solid under you :D haha sorry.. so obsessed!!
Your girl sounds lovley... do you go in comps with her or mostly pleasure ride?? I am so keen to get out and do something cos Bonnie has so much tallent... specially great jumping! But i just don't know where to start!! (its also hard with no horse float etc.. i'll figure something out.. my OH's uncle has a warmblood stud and an arena and showjumps down the back so i'm gonna hit him up to let me have some fun down there!!!
(sorry this is so long!!)
Kylie

alliecatalex

Aug 29, 2004
Washington (USA)
Visit site
My horse, Cody, is 15hh and is a gelding. He is 16 years old and is Quarter horse/Arabian mix. He is a palomino with 4 small socks and a blaze. Though I ride other horses too...like the mare I was telling you about and a few others. I just pleasure ride, although like you, I also want to start showing him. But I live in a small town with no local shows or any thing like that. Thats so cool that you live in Austrailia...I am going to have an exchange student from there stay with me for 12 days in January. What type of riding do you do other then jumping??

pandapotato

Sep 20, 2004
Enumclaw, Washington
www.geocities.com
barrel turns

Ok, I've got some advice on the barrel turns. my horse learned them really fast....but I dont know if that's normal.

The first thing to do is SLOW DOWN! lol. You have to get good at a trot and a lope before expecting to gallop them. (not that thats what you were doing.)

Secondly, an excellent way to improve the turns is to turn 2 or 3 times around each barrel before continuing. Don't move to the next until she's gone closely around the barrel.

Teachinig your horse to turn when and where she's supposed to is called "patterning" your horse. Once she's patterned THEN you can speed up. But get her to trot the barrels in a nice tight circle before moving to a lope. Anytime she starts swinging really wide, correct her by circling the barrel again. They hate it when you do this at gamedays/shows, but its how you teach them!

PePpAcOrN

Sep 12, 2004
Australia
Visit site
Hey.. wow your horse does sound like a cutie.. can you put on a piccie!!?!? i'd love to see... :D I have a palomino too!!!! He is an Australian Stock horse calld Peppa (nickname peppacorn, teehee) Unlike your Boy Peps got no white on him at all, he's adorable i'll put a pic.. he IS old tho.. 32+ to be exact and has cushings disease :(:( But he still has quality of life and is SUCH a GUTS!! i take him out for walks all teh time and sometimes a lil bareback ride :p HAHA and if i EVER tried to turn peppa in a tight circle.. he would fall over.. and yes.. he has fallen on me before hahahaha it's like his legs arn't connected to his body 1/2 the time but that was years ago and i'd never attempt n e thing with him now of course :) I don't do n e thing other than pleasure riding.. we have an *arena* - (dirty, dusty rectangle shape used so often it's worn a path into the grass) that we attempt a little schooling, dressage type stuff in (with Bonny of course :p)heheh Good luck with your exchange student :D do you know where in OZ they are from?? well have fun till i next get a reply!!!And good luck with thoes barrels!

Attachments

• peppaandkylie.jpg
    peppaandkylie.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 69

TwilightRider

Sep 23, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I am in the process of training my gelding to do barrels and I have a trainer working with me and she has expressed to me many times accuracy before speed but she also has us when we are a few feet out in front of the barrel to sit deep in the saddle and extend your legs out and check with your reins and they learn to anticipate you to slow them for the turn or in my horses case since he doesn't like to stop that helps him. Its a series of steps that I really can't explain any better I can understand it and do it better when actually on the horse doing it. Sorry wish I could help better. Those few things I just said really are working with my horse.

alliecatalex

Aug 29, 2004
Washington (USA)
Visit site
Hey,

Thanks for all the advice, I am looking forward to working with Cody on barrels...hopefully he will ge the turns because once he does, he should be a great barrel racing horse.

do you know where in OZ they are from??...to answer your question...no, I have no idea where they are from, but when I find out i will tell you! Peppa is super cute! He reminds me of this horse I used to ride named Poncho. No, I dont have any pic (not on the computer anyways) but I will try and get some soon!

And pandapotato..what school do you go to? I have a few friends who go to Enumclaw highschool so I was just wondering because I saw the you lived in Enumclaw. Thanks for the advice, I am sure it will help me tremendously!

:D

alliecatalex

Aug 29, 2004
Washington (USA)
Visit site
Oh, All of the people that I know who go to Enumclaw are seniors this year, so they would have been freshmen when you were a senior...and no, none of them do 4-H. Thats so cool that you are a 4H leader! I have always wanted to do 4H, but have never had the time. What kind of horse(s) do you have?