Trailering my anxious horse

maverick.the.paint

Apr 10, 2019
Hey everyone! I have a 12 year old paint gelding that I will be taking with me to college. He is anxious in general but especially when he is taken from his friends. My college is only a two-hour ride but my trainer doesn't want to trailer another horse if she doesn't have to. I'm nervous that he's going to travel very bad. When I got him trailer from Massatuchets to my barn in New York he had a friend on the trailer so he was fine but I'm nervous to put him on alone because of his nervous behaviors. I talked to my vet and she suggested maybe giving a little sedative but I'm not sure. Any advice would really be appreciated...Thanks!!

I would definitely go with your vet's suggestion and lightly sedate. Remember that oral sedations take at lest half an hour to kick in, and it would be wise to take some with you when he's travelled so that if there are delays you can top up the sedation if needed. Is it possible to take him on some short trips before you move so he gets used to it? Maybe one in company first & then a couple on his own with a bit of sedation? Also if you're nervous about how he'll travel keep away from him beforehand or you'll just make him anxious.

I would definitely go with your vet's suggestion and lightly sedate. Remember that oral sedations take at lest half an hour to kick in, and it would be wise to take some with you when he's travelled so that if there are delays you can top up the sedation if needed. Is it possible to take him on some short trips before you move so he gets used to it? Maybe one in company first & then a couple on his own with a bit of sedation? Also if you're nervous about how he'll travel keep away from him beforehand or you'll just make him anxious.
Thanks very much, I will definitely try that out!

newrider.com