Trailering in an ordinary car

pepsimaxrock

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
I wonder about ditching my trouble prone X trail and getting another Passat which camping and caravanning folks claim to be top towing vehicle.
I see a 2l Passat bluemotion can tow a braked weight of 1850. My 506 plus Max is 1350. This seems to give me plenty scope.
Is this right, am I ok and legal to travel that combo?
I d appreciate any info you can give. I know it's a slightly unusual combo but tbh the Passat will return the fuel economy I need for travelling and othr business and I'd love to hear if you all think its ok, that would be great.

I have had a few issues recently so I'd really like it if you could just let me know if you agree above combo is ok and / or any known pitfalls of it. I appreciate some members only like the huge 4x4s and large lorries etc but I cannot stretch that far..
I only look at what I can afford lol

Very best
Anne x

OwnedbyChanter

With out my boys life would be bland
Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
Your car has to be able to tow the full laden weight of the trailer not the unladen plus horse. That plus tack etc.

You can get the trailer replated to carry just one horse but then it would have to be sold as that as well or replated before selling. You would not be able to tow two horses in it again unless you use a bigger car.

So have a look at the plate info on the trailer.

notpoodle

Jul 16, 2003
Brighton!
Visit site
I know people who tow a single horse trailer with a 14hh pony in it with an estate car, all within being legal and works fine.

not sure i'd do much else though eg. the car might be fine physically pulling it but will it be able to brake safely in a downhill emergency with such a large load behind? i'd be wary, to be honest.

OwnedbyChanter

With out my boys life would be bland
Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
Not sure if that applies to Pepsimaxrock as she I suspect has a pre 97 licence where the rules are different!

EML yes that rule is based on the driver, the weight of the car towing is different, yes if on an old license like you and me the weight is not an issue but the amount the car can legal tow is. However a new licence would mean that towing that combination is not legal full stop as the weight of car and trailer alone would be over 3500

Last edited:

popularfurball

Learning all the time
Jul 18, 2005
North west
I know people who tow a single horse trailer with a 14hh pony in it with an estate car, all within being legal and works fine.

not sure i'd do much else though eg. the car might be fine physically pulling it but will it be able to brake safely in a downhill emergency with such a large load behind? i'd be wary, to be honest.

It has to be a single trailer or a downplayed double though to be legal :)

notpoodle

Jul 16, 2003
Brighton!
Visit site
that's what I mean, these people have a single horse trailer and a light horse in it. i'd never tow a 'big' horse with a normal car, just for fear of braking being odd etc.

pepsimaxrock

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
Thanks everyone and yes eml I have the grandmother rights you were right in your suspicions!
Not poodle I wonder if you could expand a little more on your concerns about braking. Why might braking in a Passat be any different to braking in the xtrail? I am not taking issue just don't understand your concerns it would be great if you could let me know
Thanks again everyone x

notpoodle

Jul 16, 2003
Brighton!
Visit site
i'd be worried about the weight/load. an x-trail or landrover is more powerful and will brake better (eg in a more stable fashion, the brakes obviously work the same) than a small less powerful estate car towing its maximum load.

popularfurball

Learning all the time
Jul 18, 2005
North west
Thanks everyone and yes eml I have the grandmother rights you were right in your suspicions!
Not poodle I wonder if you could expand a little more on your concerns about braking. Why might braking in a Passat be any different to braking in the xtrail? I am not taking issue just don't understand your concerns it would be great if you could let me know
Thanks again everyone x

Particularly if you are travelling down hill, or you need to do an emergency stop, the force the trailer puts on the car is massively increased - because of the speed - think about being pulled down hill when pushing a wheelchair or buggy etc - it's much harder to stop. So the heavier the car, the easier it will be to stop the weight behind.

In addition, when pulling uphill, the more powerful the engine the easier it is to pull the trailer up the hill.

All of this depends on your driving style and the areas you will be towing in. A mondeo with single trailer and 14"3 pony can't make it up the hill to us.

There are legal guidelines but in my area I would be wanting a more powerful car if I had bigger horses due to the hills!

Oldarida

Nov 9, 2011
Merseyside
In addition to the above comments, there is also the issue of getting moving to consider - if you are towing close to the maximum for your vehicle, moving off from stationary on even a very slight upward incline will do horrible things to your clutch.
Also, unless the trailer is very well balanced, it can (via the towbar) push the rear of your car down, which has the effect of reducing the weight on the front wheels. In the case of a front wheel drive car like a Passat this can make life very awkward on a slippery surface e.g. grass or a muddy yard.
Over the years I've towed all sorts of loads with many different unsuitable vehicles, but these days with so much traffic on the roads I'd want a 4x4 if I was moving horses around tbh.