Trailer test

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
What is involved in the trailer test currently?

I can't remember if I told the story before but a few years ago I was pulled over on a routine stop and found I had been driving for over 15 years without a license! And towing all over the country :eek: I went home and checked my envelope because I had def passed my test, and in all the excitement I had never sent off my pass cert to get my license upgraded :oops: So although plenty experienced at towing I need to get my test done, just trying to decide if I should bother booking some brush up lessons or just take the plunge and book the test.

You need to show advanced competency in driving
Do an S reverse between cones and park a specified distance away from a barrier or cone.
Emergency stop
Manage your own route and show awareness whilst doing so
How to traverse difference road classes and their speed limits and your limits
How you traverse junctions and multip exit and lane roundabouts.
Entering and exiting a motorway.
Hitching unhitching and parking without the trailer

These were all part of my test. Along with random questions of course.

Reactions: Jessey
I'm happy with most of that, the driving and reversing. I saw somewhere if you touch the bumper on the rehitch that's a fail, do they allow you to get out and look at the position when you get close or do you have to get it spot on first try? I used to get mine first time but its been a while!
I think I'm going to book at least half a day lesson and see where I go from there as I want to use their rig for the test (I've heard testers are generally happier with that) so need to get used to it first at the very least and get back in the swing of it.

newrider.com