Trailer test info

Kira657

Jul 18, 2005
North Cornwall
As you probably all know if you pass your driving test after 1997 and you want to tow a trailer you have to take another test before you're legally allowed to do so. I could just google it for info but im interested in hearing from your personal experiences about taking this test. How much did it cost, how long did it go on for and is it hard?!

I know at uni we could do it but it cost £175 for a days training and the same again for the test and hire of vehicle and trailer so i didnt bother!!

Pro drive does it and it only costs £70. The test is ok but you have to reverse the trailer on a course. Imagine 3 posts in a line with 25 meters between them, the first post has a parrelle post 12 feet away from it on the right park your trailer hitched up with the front bumper between the posts. The last post also has a parrelle post 12 feet away from it but this one is on the left( this is your garage)
you have to reverse the trailer without going forward from post one back to post two and move the trailer into the garage by turning left then right and the back of the trailer has to be parked within 2 feet of the third post. If you pull forward at any point you fail.
I hope you get the jist of what I'm trying to explain.

I would strongly sugest you get in touch with your nearest driving center and book a practice day. It costs around £40 and is very helpful.
But it is well worth doing.
Good luck

newrider.com