Trailer organisation- what do you use

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I prefer to leave all my basics in the trailer, it means I use it more as just have to add horse and tack and go, but not having had a trailer in over 10 years I can’t think for the life of me how I used to have it set up to have everything contained and secured 🤦‍♀️

I want first aid kit, rugs, grooming kit, water container and bucket to live in there, plus maybe some electric posts and polywire for a corral and a few other bits so it needs to be reasonably large, perhaps with multiple pockets/compartments. I don’t want to just stick it in the empty bay and risk it sliding under the partition, monkey wouldn’t cope!

It’ll be set up just for 1 horse, but with the option to remove it for 2.

Pictures if you have them, I’m a visual learner 😁

Last edited:
Nothing left in my trailer. Heard a few stories of stuff being stolen whilst people were out on a fun rides. I wont even leave headcollars in there.

Reactions: Jessey
I put padlocks on the antiluce latches, so no one can get in, that much I remember doing 🤣
I don’t have room in my car for anything more than tack. My boot is permanently full of my search and rescue kit, taking it out every time will just make me less inclined to do it, especially after work in the evenings.

If its not going to be coming out to often and your only using one side for the horse could you get a cupboard or wooden box chests that you could fix securely in place so they cant slide then at least everything could be stored or contained within them.

Yes I’ve been toying with that, or a storage trunk, but I’m not sure how I’d secure it without there being something left sticking out when it’s removed

I don't have a trailer but in the tack area of my waggon (no living, just a storage space so similar) I have a variety of coolers, exercise sheets, elasticated surcingle, spare headcollars, lead ropes, spare crop, boots for Raf, gloves for me, waterproof/high viz jacket, disposable cups, camping stove (unused), 1st aid kit, feed bucket, bucket to clean up droppings/raf to pee into in an emergency, random other buckets, water containers, towels, hand gel, horse washing kit, foldable steps for mounting (never used for mounting as the ramp does a fine job but you never know when they might come in handy), spare ties, portable loo for me, my bum bag with folding hoof pick, emergeny polos, tissues and a bit of money.

This is like the generation game (you have to be a certain age). I have two crates full of bits and pieces so there must be more stuff but I can't think. Basically I use my waggon as an extension of my tack room!

ETA I keep meaning to get spare shovel/mini shavings fork/broom that I could keep on board for those outings where you need to clear up after your horse. I keep forgetting to take mine but rubber gloves out of the 1st aid kit and the poo bucket have to suffice. Oh and I do have a dustpan and shovel on board too.

I don't have a trailer but I wouldn't be wanting to keep anything in it and would take the bare minimum as I have a phobia about weight inside things. I was worried when we moved up here (yes, I know quite ridiculous) about the removal wagon. And even more so about the horses wagon (even though it was a beautiful Eric Gillies one!). Okay, I'll shut up now..................o_O:rolleyes::eek::oops:

I don't have a trailer but in the tack area of my waggon (no living, just a storage space so similar) I have a variety of coolers, exercise sheets, elasticated surcingle, spare headcollars, lead ropes, spare crop, boots for Raf, gloves for me, waterproof/high viz jacket, disposable cups, camping stove (unused), 1st aid kit, feed bucket, bucket to clean up droppings/raf to pee into in an emergency, random other buckets, water containers, towels, hand gel, horse washing kit, foldable steps for mounting (never used for mounting as the ramp does a fine job but you never know when they might come in handy), spare ties, portable loo for me, my bum bag with folding hoof pick, emergeny polos, tissues and a bit of money.

This is like the generation game (you have to be a certain age). I have two crates full of bits and pieces so there must be more stuff but I can't think. Basically I use my waggon as an extension of my tack room!

ETA I keep meaning to get spare shovel/mini shavings fork/broom that I could keep on board for those outings where you need to clear up after your horse. I keep forgetting to take mine but rubber gloves out of the 1st aid kit and the poo bucket have to suffice. Oh and I do have a dustpan and shovel on board too.
It’s not really what I need, but what to organise it in?

Things go fusty (mouldy) in trailers. Learned my lesson.
I’ll likely take it out for winter if I’m not using it, but plan to be out twice a week through spring/summer so it should all get sufficient use to no go manky.

If you go to a greengrocer or greengrocer's market stand you might be able to get the plastic crates they use for fruit and veg. They come in a variety of sizes and are sturdy and stackable,

Most trailers inside are smooth but some might have crevasses or you could drill through and add in some timber for strength and eyelets.
If you had tall storage box you could perhaps find some way of securing round the boxes with lorry straps and ratchets off to eyelets.
Its got to be solid secure though and everything inside the boxes needs to be packed tight. Otherwise it could all slide as your breaking or rattle around as you go over bumps.

My old trailer was rattly and having travelled in it one time with some cows. I swear thats why the horses refused to load in it. Both horses went from to to load to not. I think they got scared.

I don’t want to add eyelets in the 2nd horse bay as don’t want anything left sticking out when I remove it, not even the ones that fold nearly flush. I’m hoping to find something sturdy enough that on rubber Matt’s it will keep itself in place, or use some industrial Velcro or something.

My friend successfully had one of those vertical sets of 3 plastic drawers bungeed in the nose of her Ifor. Her 17hh had no probs getting past it to to come off the front ramp. She had a 20ltr water container beside it too if I remember.

I have a spare set of those drawers! And not using the front ramp until I have time to weld it so that doesn’t matter too much.

newrider.com