Trailer Hitching and Towing.

jo031164

Sep 13, 2008
Essex
Hi Gang,

Well I am taking the bull by the horns on Sunday and am going with a friend to do a 9 mile fun ride.

I am hiring a trailer for the weekend (friday to monday). It is an Equitec. It is side loading and the horses face to the rear. I have never towed so a little anxious about it, but hey hoe. What I am concerned about is hitching up to my car (Mercedes ML 320 Sport), on the sunday morning I have to hitch it up and load my horse single handedly, then go to my friends yard (5 minutes away) and collect her. I am gonna practice on the saturday, but wondered if anyone had any tips or experiences they could share with me.

Thanks

Jo

Practise putting the trailer on and off a few times so you learn how to do everything (it's one less thing to be nervous about 'on the day')

I would take it out empty a couple of times before putting the horse in. It will feel different when it is loaded.

When you have horses on board, double your normal acceleration and braking distance and go easy on the pedals! Also take corners 10 mph slower than you think!!!

If you allow plenty of time and go nice and smoothly then it will be fine. Dont worry about other drivers. They will just have to sort themselves out!

What are you towing it with? I hitched up for the first time last week and found the best way to line up was to put the back seats down on my old Landcruiser, and have the back doors open. also put an old lolly stick (hey, I have kids!) right in the middle above the hitch. as I couldn't actually see it. I managed to get very close first time, and took a couple more attempts before I got it. It's only a matter of time before I forge to raise the jockey wheel though!:D

newrider.com