Trail challenge, who wants to join in?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Came across this
http://www.aqha.com/Riding/Content-Pages/Trail-Challenge/Trail-Challenge-Obstacles.aspx

I am always looking for new ideas and I guess this would be like trec? One place has classed a horse or rider that's been under saddle for less than five years as green, so that would put my mare as green until she turned 9. I like that idea since we only got off the yard on Sunday, I have four years to practice. :biggrin:

If anyone isn't riding it can be in hand, just thought it may give us something to do even with a youngster or oldie.

I spotted a wagon wheel obstacle that I want to make-if I get time tomorrow and I will add the photo.

Last edited:
That sounds quite like TREC but more varied, to be honest. Brilliant! I love the phrasing:

"The Horse shall not be penalized for stopping for a drink or checking out the water before crossing"

and "Smaller Horses are not penalized for hopping over very tall obstacles as long as the action is done in a calm manner".

Lovely!

We did our first ridden gate yesterday, just out of the school. But its definitely something we can practice until the wind takes it off the hinges again.

I'd like to do that, it sounds fun!

We used to have 'gate fear' until I rode Raf out from my farriers on a route that has millions of horse friendly gates. The first few took us ages but after a while we got the hang of it and Raf is now really good if I can work out how to position him. (I still haven't got the hang of that, is there a correct method?)

On our latest ride round there he even worked out that he could push the gates open with his nose to speed the job up a bit. Unfortunately he also helpfully pushed shut the gates that opened towards us, but I'm sure we'll get over this little blip soon!

For gates I line up alongside, unlatch, back up keeping your hand on the gate, ask the horse to step over as you open it towards you/or away from you, slide you hand back up the gate and just turn round and side step to do up. You don't then let go.

This is my version of the wagon wheel, based on the idea I saw yesterday.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1386772768257.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386772768257.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I'd like to do that, it sounds fun!

We used to have 'gate fear' until I rode Raf out from my farriers on a route that has millions of horse friendly gates. The first few took us ages but after a while we got the hang of it and Raf is now really good if I can work out how to position him. (I still haven't got the hang of that, is there a correct method?)

On our latest ride round there he even worked out that he could push the gates open with his nose to speed the job up a bit. Unfortunately he also helpfully pushed shut the gates that opened towards us, but I'm sure we'll get over this little blip soon!

Storm will push the gate open with her chest and nose sometimes! Not really how we're meant to do it I suppose! I have a bit of a phobia (sounds silly) that her reins will get caught on the gate post (I am a great visualiser of doom!) as we go through. Therefore, I do tend to pass as quickly as possible whenever we do venture through a gate.....

I have a bit of a phobia (sounds silly) that her reins will get caught on the gate post (I am a great visualiser of doom!) as we go through. Therefore, I do tend to pass as quickly as possible whenever we do venture through a gate.....

That did actually happen to us once - it was a very badly maintained gate and there was some obstacle beside it, wire or something. I'd really struggled to get through it as it needed lifting as well as pushing and as we were passing through and saw the wire I gave Raf a nervous nudge which made him jump and his reins got caught over the sticky up metal lever thing, pulled on his head and he started to panic. Disaster in the making! I shouted stand and luckily he must have sensed the urgency in my voice and stood like a rock while I leant over and unlooped the reins. Phew! I hope the worst that would have happened is that the reins would have broken - not what you want in the middle of nowhere, but better than a broken horse. I'm such a clumsy idiot sometimes though, it was entirely my fault for letting the reins flap about while I was struggling with the gate.

NF - I like your wagon wheel. There's a horse on our yard that was diagnosed with kissing spine some time ago and one of the exercises he had to do was being long reined round and round a very similar structure, first one way then the other. It was supposed to develop his back muscles to support his spine. Must have worked too.

She has done it on both reins and its good physio apparently. You can play with the height and it just makes poles a bit more interesting.

newrider.com