Track question

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
My friend has said I can set up a track round my field if I’d like too, she’s also said she’ll get some posts put in for me at stress points (corners) so I can tension the tape, my idea is to run a track around the perimeter of the field but tape it to allow for some movement if I need extra/less grazing.
My biggest query is how wide do I make the track please? There will only be Belle in there so I don’t need to worry about space for her to avoid any shenanigans but I don’t want it to feel too restrictive for her, any suggestions would be gratefully received.

On the ones ive done round my fields for my two ive varied width it in places so that they can get out each others way if they have grumps. They can also get down for a good rolls.
Some people go for about 12 ft minimum so thay can drive round with tractor etc to poo pick. Put hay at hay stations.
I had some bits last year where the two horses could just about stand side by side. So maybe 6ft. One section was a good 30ft so they could get under trees for shelter.

Thank you @chunky monkey appreciate your reply, I’d not actually thought about somewhere for the old girl to have a good roll, I don’t need it to be wide enough for a tractor but yes, wide enough for a roll would be good.

Reactions: Trewsers
Mine varies, narrower sections tend to encourage faster movement through them, and you definitely need ’loafing’ areas for them to rest and roll. 1.5x the biggest horses rug size is the rule of thumb for narrowest but I had mine down to 8ft (Jess wears 6’6”) but you wouldn’t want it that narrow if they are not totally relaxed with electric fence
9F1CEAB0-6E6A-40AA-96E7-2FBDEDEED62A.jpeg
Jess will happily lay in this 12ft section, makes me cringe but she doesn’t care!

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Thanks @Jessey Belle wears a 6ft rug (well she would if she did wear one) so I guess 9ft at the narrowest then? She’s totally comfortable with electric fencing and very respectful of any fencing so that wouldn’t worry me, I’ve a plan for a wider area in a couple of places where the biggest hedges are and was going to go 12 to 15 ft there? Does that sound ok do you think?

Reactions: Jessey
9ft sounds good. I'd go a bit bigger for loafing areas if you can, you could make it a diagonal across a corner to make it wider without a whole side being bigger.

Im just in the process of setting up my track for the summer. Still very experimental. Will be more than last years which i didnt feel wasnt 100% successful. Which is why im still not a fan of tracks long term, so going to extend it this year.

1st picture shows how wide ive made it. It is probably 12ft and down to 9ft in a couple of places. Far end at the top where the big trees are theres shelter under them and about 40ft strip for shade. Purely as we cant mow that bit for hay. So making use of the strip for the horses.

20210411_190225.jpg

2nd picture goes down the hedge line and finished at the bottom last year. Theres spring water there too.

20210411_190245.jpg

3rd picture this year im going to extend it round in front of the woodland and back to the bottom of the two acres there currently in. Theres another gate at the bottom of the 2 acres paddock so im going to open it up so they can come back into the 2 acres.
Will be interesting to see if they just stay in the two acres, or if they walk round the 10 acres of track as well. Chunky is not moving enough in the 2 acres currently as some days his sheath swells up. When i lunge him it goes down, so im sure its a movement issue. They'll certainly get some exercise walking up and down the steep field too. If i think there getting too much grass with all open I'll just have them on the track, although it will be dead ends it will be longer than last years.

Im actually excited to try this to see where they go given choice of large paddock or track.

20210411_190250.jpg

Im just in the process of setting up my track for the summer. Still very experimental. Will be more than last years which i didnt feel wasnt 100% successful. Which is why im still not a fan of tracks long term, so going to extend it this year.

1st picture shows how wide ive made it. It is probably 12ft and down to 9ft in a couple of places. Far end at the top where the big trees are theres shelter under them and about 40ft strip for shade. Purely as we cant mow that bit for hay. So making use of the strip for the horses.

View attachment 106186

2nd picture goes down the hedge line and finished at the bottom last year. Theres spring water there too.

View attachment 106187

3rd picture this year im going to extend it round in front of the woodland and back to the bottom of the two acres there currently in. Theres another gate at the bottom of the 2 acres paddock so im going to open it up so they can come back into the 2 acres.
Will be interesting to see if they just stay in the two acres, or if they walk round the 10 acres of track as well. Chunky is not moving enough in the 2 acres currently as some days his sheath swells up. When i lunge him it goes down, so im sure its a movement issue. They'll certainly get some exercise walking up and down the steep field too. If i think there getting too much grass with all open I'll just have them on the track, although it will be dead ends it will be longer than last years.

Im actually excited to try this to see where they go given choice of large paddock or track.

View attachment 106188
I’d kill for 10 acres to track around! Are you removing their water from the 2acres? That would definitely encourage them to move up to the spring fed one. Separating out resources is definitely a key to getting them moving.

@chunky monkey that looks fabulous, I’d love some hills for Belle but definitely wouldn’t need 10 acres. There’s only Belle on mine, much as I’d love to share it with a couple of others.

I’d kill for 10 acres to track around! Are you removing their water from the 2acres? That would definitely encourage them to move up to the spring fed one. Separating out resources is definitely a key to getting them moving.
@Jessey The springs at the bottom of the big field. Nicer water to drink.There is a mains trough in the two acres. Over in the top ive also got a moveable trough which runs off the 100m surface water pipe. I could take that one out. The spring fed water point does go into a trough before it overflows. I could fence off any water points. Not difficult.
Mind you last summer when i needed to go get them in everyday to ride. I nearly always had to go to the bottom of the field when they were on the track. It was a killer for me. So if i only kept one of the two water points at the top of the field would that encourage them so come up for a drink, (make it easier for me to get them in to ride) or would they just be lazy and stay at the bottom. Would worry about getting dehydrated.
What do you reckon, 1,2, or 3 troughs. Dont plan on feeding hay at all.

@Jessey The springs at the bottom of the big field. Nicer water to drink.There is a mains trough in the two acres. Over in the top ive also got a moveable trough which runs off the 100m surface water pipe. I could take that one out. The spring fed water point does go into a trough before it overflows. I could fence off any water points. Not difficult.
Mind you last summer when i needed to go get them in everyday to ride. I nearly always had to go to the bottom of the field when they were on the track. It was a killer for me. So if i only kept one of the two water points at the top of the field would that encourage them so come up for a drink, (make it easier for me to get them in to ride) or would they just be lazy and stay at the bottom. Would worry about getting dehydrated.
What do you reckon, 1,2, or 3 troughs. Dont plan on feeding hay at all.
You have to keep an eye on hydration but most figure it out easily enough, there isn’t any right number, it depends on the lay of the land and the individual, but you might find they are good with 1 unless it’s super hot then more are needed to get them to drink more frequently, horses will often only go to water twice a day particularly if it’s a bit of a walk away but that’s no different in a paddock or the wild.

Think about all resources, water, food (inc where grass is sweetest or certain plants/hedges/trees are accessible), shade, wind breaks, sun traps, look out points, salt licks, where you feed (if you do) etc. you can use track width to change how they use different areas to some extent so for e.g. you can make a squeeze if there’s a shady spot right next to the water and make a loafing area in a shady spot somewhere else to encourage more movement between the 2 resources.

I really enjoy tracking, coming up with little modifications to improve the environment for them and seeing their interest in things but it is more work than a traditional field, but for me it’s a million times better for my neds who can’t have much grass being stuck in a tiny starvation paddock without room for a good gallop about 🙂

@Jessey i think that’s why I like the idea so much, Belle had been used to being out on five acres with a herd, loads of shady areas, sunny bits, a stream to paddle in and drink from, rough grazing and now she’s back in a single paddock and restricted grazing which has to be strip grazed and means she doesn’t move much at all. I’m really excited to get it set up and I don’t mind putting the work in, I only wish she had another horse or two to share it with, but the only other horse she could share with the owner won’t allow as she worries that she’ll get injured and to be fair Belle doesn’t like her very much judging by her attitude if the other horse so much as looks at her over the fence 🙁
I’d love a companion for her but I just couldn’t afford one now I’ve no income.

newrider.com