towing with front side door open?!?!?

Karenmc

Aug 14, 2008
Dumfries, South West Scotland
Can someone please tell me what this is all about??

Specifically with Ifor Williams Trailers, the front side door you close once you have put the front ramp up...

Over last couple weeks my OH has seen on 3 occasions people towing with horses on board with this front door open!!! :eek::eek::eek:

It has been within town speed 30mph limits, non horsey OH seen this and asked me "do they do this because its been so hot?? like to let air flow through the box??"

Is this ok, does anyone on here do this?? I didnt think for one minute you were supposed to leave the FRONT door open?!?!? Surely your asking for an accident to happen??

the "window" door above the front ramp but on older IW trailers there is no actual window its the door they have open...

(i noticed that the new IW trailers have a sliding window on this window door, this wasnt what he saw, it was the whole top door that was open)

I have driven with this open.

Was for ventillation on a hot day Kia travells in the passenger side anyway so he couldnt get his head out.

Dont see a prob as lng as your not on Mway.

Nikki xxx:)

these would have been on the drivers side, as it was when he was driving towards them that he seen it...

I didnt think it was safe to do that?? I know my horse when we arrive at shows and i open this door sticks his head out but its not a loose fit so to speak, he has to manuver his head to get it in and out, i wouldnt be happy with him driving along sticking his head out, knowing he can be a spooky creature at times too i can just imagine his reaction if driving along an A or B road and a HGV was to come thundering towards him, i think he would freak out....

There is no law etc saying not to and If your not on Mway then the wind isnt too bad.

Yep the door is on the drivers side but my horse travel on the passenger side (he prefers it) so with the window open hes in no danger of getting hurt and tends to ignore other traffic anyway.

It is good when your ambling along on a hot stuffy day on the way home with a sweaty hot horse.:)

Dont do it all the time just on the odd occasion when he is really sweaty.

Nikki xxx

O and there is no way she'd be able to stick her head out.
Not only is she tied to the front of the trailer, she also has a leadrope to her left AND her right and is sorta held in the middle (not cruelly, there still loose and im sure she can see out if she puts her head up, just cant actually fit her nose through window gap)

Erm, it's a window! That's what it's for lol!:D

Personally don't open it much myself but if it was very warm I would.

:confused: we have ours open... my mare lieks to poke her nose out especially if we slow down or go round a corner. pretty much everyone i know travels with it open... we also dont shut the back windows up. only ever get shut if tis peeing it down which isnt that often.

Oh i'm really surprised!! I was always told never to open the front window as debris can get in horses eyes and creates more noise etc for ponio, but always have back windows open and on longer journeys or hot day have sunroof open!

I'm really surprised so many people travel with it open! Don't think Indie would appreciate it being opened though....

Oh i'm really surprised!! I was always told never to open the front window as debris can get in horses eyes and creates more noise etc for ponio, but always have back windows open and on longer journeys or hot day have sunroof open!

I'm really surprised so many people travel with it open! Don't think Indie would appreciate it being opened though....

Kc Mac, i am same as you, had always been told never to drive with it open, i didnt realise so many people did, i have never seen it myself it was my OH that seen it...

Erm, it's a window! That's what it's for lol!:D

Personally don't open it much myself but if it was very warm I would.

See thats where i am different i didnt see it a as a "window" as such to be left open when travelling, i just thought it was the way the trailer was set up, a shorter ramp hence a door to be closed above the front ramp....

i've travelled with the top door open on really hot days = honey seems to like looking out lol! (she's in cross tied so can't get head out;))
i'd rather a sliding window to open but beggers can't be choosers and we can't afford the newer model yet ;)

Someone I have lessons with does this....her horse used to throw itself on the floor - the only thing that made for happy travelling was having the top door open. :)

I think jez would like it if I travelled like this as spends the whole journey with his nose pressed against the slatted window thing. The only thing that would concern me would be large bees / debris hitting him the face and freaking him out.

i dont have a problem with it as long as you arent on the motoway and it makes the horse more comfy... i have the model with sliding windows and i always travel with at least the one on the opposite side from him , open....

we've done it on mega hot days but we put pony's fly mask on so debris doesn't get in his eyes

he loves it!

tend not to as a habit -just cos we don't! but when its hot - he seems much much much happier

but we are talking 30mph max speed!

newrider.com