Towing with a van.

I am sure its possible for small 'road' trips. Though for anything else, i.e grass or off road etc I would definitely say 4x4. This is what I have been advised when asking about an estate or 4x4.

However as with anything you need to make sure that they vehicle can 'legally' tow the trailer. So you need to check how much tha van can tow, and than make sure that it is higher than what they trailer can tow.

i tow with a renault trafic van - its a really good towing vehicle, wide track and very steady. You'd have to watch the towing weight limits tho - see my sticky thread for more info- we had our trailer derated by ifor williams to 2 tonnes as this is the max my van can tow. Which means that despite it being a double, i would really struggle to take 2 horses. We also struggle on grass at shows at times and thats when we wish we had a 4x4! anyhow, it works well for us:)

My OH is going to tow with his long wheel base, high top transit. His a little nervous about the reversing though, so is gonna practice in a quiet carpark lol. But I know loadsa people who tow with vans, esp. short wheel base transits. xx

the only thing about towing with a van is the kerb weight can be quite low and you feel like the ass end of the van is wobbly and light. To be safe you should tow about 85% of your kerb weight (ie the weight of your towing vehicle) so if you towing vehicle is 2tonne you can safely pull 1700kg. if you tow over that and have an accident you can be charged for dangerous driving even if your maximum tow weight is more than that. (considered to be an unsafe load) so i've been told by a copper!

If you tow vehicle is lighter you run in to handling problems. i tow with a range rover now and when i have two big horses (16.2 heavy hunters) i feel i'm on the limit of the cars towing capability. i wouldn't like to take them and tow with a van.

look at your vans weight and see what 85% comes out as

Just like to say that I am so glad to hear that other people tow with a van, I don't mean to sound rude or anything but I was starting to feel like something beginning with P and ending in key.:eek:I have no option but to use a van which happens to be a transit and I know there will be people looking down their noses at me because I don't have a posh 4 x 4 but as long as I can get my pony from A to B who cares what I use.:)

the only thing about towing with a van is the kerb weight can be quite low and you feel like the ass end of the van is wobbly and light. To be safe you should tow about 85% of your kerb weight (ie the weight of your towing vehicle) so if you towing vehicle is 2tonne you can safely pull 1700kg. if you tow over that and have an accident you can be charged for dangerous driving even if your maximum tow weight is more than that. (considered to be an unsafe load) so i've been told by a copper!

If you tow vehicle is lighter you run in to handling problems. i tow with a range rover now and when i have two big horses (16.2 heavy hunters) i feel i'm on the limit of the cars towing capability. i wouldn't like to take them and tow with a van.

look at your vans weight and see what 85% comes out as

the 85% you refer to is an old recommendation by the caravan club and not the law.

also, if you ARE adhering to the 85% recommendation, (which i do, just by choice;) ) if the van has the same towing capacity as mine for example, 2 tonnes, you dont base the 85% on that, you base the 85% on the weight you are actually towing and the kerb weight, which on mine is around 1799kg if i remember rightly.(not sure if you were just using 2tonnes as an example kerb weight or specifically referring to mine). Anyway, means with the unladen weight of my trailer and 1 horse Im probably just within it... and i never feel like the back end is light, ive heard pick ups can feel like that tho.

Last edited:
also, if you ARE adhering to the 85% recommendation, (which i do, just by choice;) ) if the van has the same towing capacity as mine for example, 2 tonnes, you dont base the 85% on that, you base the 85% on the weight you are actually towing and the kerb weight, which on mine is around 1799kg if i remember rightly.(not sure if you were just using 2tonnes as an example kerb weight or specifically referring to mine). Anyway, means with the unladen weight of my trailer and 1 horse Im probably just within it... and i never feel like the back end is light, ive heard pick ups can feel like that tho.

I never said it was law sweet hart;) it's the advise i was give by a copper off the record, if you cause a serious accident then they haul you in for anything. My range rover is by no means posh being over 10 years old! and i've towed with everything from a l200 pickup , nissan d pickup, defender, discovery,transits, traffics, tractors and combines. many years working on farms and for contractors saw me towing with many vehicles oh including a quad!:D . and beleive me i don't stick to my kerb weight either. i've recently towed wellover my RR tow weight of 3.5 tonne and my trailers wheels looked a little stressed!;)
I picked 2 tonnes out of my head sorry ! not using you as an example. don't get so defensive. thought it was about giving your own opinion. and mine was my prefered towing vehicle is my range rover:D

Tow with what you like!! as long as you're happy.

I never said it was law sweet hart;) it's the advise i was give by a copper off the record, if you cause a serious accident then they haul you in for anything. My range rover is by no means posh being over 10 years old! and i've towed with everything from a l200 pickup , nissan d pickup, defender, discovery,transits, traffics, tractors and combines. many years working on farms and for contractors saw me towing with many vehicles oh including a quad!:D . and beleive me i don't stick to my kerb weight either. i've recently towed wellover my RR tow weight of 3.5 tonne and my trailers wheels looked a little stressed!;)
I picked 2 tonnes out of my head sorry ! not using you as an example. don't get so defensive. thought it was about giving your own opinion. and mine was my prefered towing vehicle is my range rover:D

Tow with what you like!! as long as you're happy.

actually, you did, you stated that one could be done for dangerous driving through exceeding the 85% recommendation. I wasnt being defensive, and i dont appreciate being called 'sweetheart'. What irritates me is when people make statements implying something is law, when it is totally inaccurate. Believe me, there are a lot of police out there who haven't a clue about the law relating to towing:rolleyes:

I used to tow with my big LDV and now with a transit.

You need a dry show field though when you get there.

We used to tow with a transit for polocrosse - great for storing stuff in away from the horses in the trailer (unless you have one of the posh showtrekkas :p ) and you can sleep in it when the weather turns overnight and the tent floats off down the field :)

My old LDV was great. 7 seats and room for a cart in the back, or to kip in, and it would tow 4 horses. (shetlands) Mind you I did get 2 shetlands, one Icelandic and a Welsh D in once! :D :D

In the past I had a Transit to Tow my box, it was ideal as I could also put my carriage in the vehicle :) Found it perfectly ok. She has sadly gone to scrap heap heaven.

She also had in the back a sofa bed, stove and cooker. Perfect for bacon butties & making a brew

before i had my own trailer i used to hire a transit van and a trailer. they were well matched and i had no problem with the towing of a horse and a pony. i hired them from the same place as well so the owners knew all about the weights. :rolleyes:

newrider.com