Towing Test - Anyone Passed???

cobbychic

Oct 21, 2008
Norfolk
I'm looking into taking the towing test and heard that they have a really low pass rate as its a really hard test!

Has anyone taken it and did you find it hard? Did you pass?

Thanks

I did it and passed :)
I had no previous towing experience but did a 2 day course before the test. The test itself isnt that hard as long as you have mastered the reversing and remember to drive like its a proper driving test :D Mirrors mirrors mirrors! :p

A friend of mine at work passed recently and did the same 2-day course. She spent the couple of weeks up to the test driving like she was taking her first test again just to practice and managed to do it in a foreign import car with the indicators on the wrong side. Can't be that bad.

ooo where do we find out about 2 day course. i have to take mine sometime :eek:

well...does anyone know the test or what we need to be able to do? i can reverse in a straight line :rolleyes:

The test is on the DVLA website K8 Doran. I passed, third time. Your basic driving skills are tested to a much, much higher level. I failed making two big (and very sill!) mistakes due to nerves. Nailed the reversing each time though!

I took my HGV Class 1 test about 18yrs ago now (WOW, is that long already), and passed first time, therefore, I can drive an Artic Lorry and HVG 2 vehicle..... my dad paid for it as a 21st birthday present.

In the test I had to reverse around a cone and into a 'parking bay' - it's very easy once you know that whichever way you want the trailer to go, steer opposite lock - if you're going wrong, steer the same way as the trailer is going - can't go wrong then!!

Dunno how hard it is now, but it was bl**dy hard back then!!!!

I must admit, I take great joy when men state women are cr@p drivers - I then point out that I hold an LGV Class 1 licence - you should see their faces then!! LOL

Last edited:
yeh my friend told me that the other day, works a beauty. when reversing, if you see the trailer coming more into view in say your left hand mirror then steer to the left. wherever you see it coming into view more, steer that way!

That's what I do K8 Doran. It's very, very hard to reverse a trailer in a straight line so a good way to practise is to do just that and correct it until you have got the nack.

I passed first time but I went out practicing quite a lot beforehand and did 1 and a half days of lessons followed by the test on the second day.

I echo what others said -mirrors, mirrors, mirrors!! Aswell and the reversing, un hitching and re-hitching, emergency stop and road work I also got taken on the motorway.

Good Luck :D

newrider.com