Towing - Anyone else not very confident?

juliedorman

Apr 22, 2008
Hook Norton, Oxfordshire
Hi, I hope I am not the only one - I am not hugely experienced with towing but I kept telling my OH that there was something wrong with the way the Landrover tows and I have struggled driving up hills, sending the temperature guage into red and there is one particular very steep hill that I can hardly get up and am crawling very slowly in the end. Today my daughter went to a pony club rally which involved the steep hill and asked my OH to drive as he didn't believe me and he went up it no trouble! He said I am not using the revs properly, I am also rubbish at reversing - up until this year I could only turn round if I drove in a circle and have had to reverse this season with varying success, sometimes I just can't get the trailer where I want it. We went to a mounted games competition where each person in turn had to reverse back neatly into position from a narrow track and I had to get out and someone else do it. I feel like I need tuition!

My God its me!!LOL!:D
It does get better and easier with practise,i have now mastered reversing my trailer into its horrible parking space,i admit sometimes it takes me ages!I am now confident enough to not need the O/H!He does come to certain shows still as some places have a really narrow lane with 2way trailer traffic and i would just panic and crash into everything:DMy O/H is very good, although he finds it really strange people cant reverse(he drives arctics for a living):rolleyes:
In fact at my local rc show i even directed a mum into a parking space,she said she understood my strange directions much easier than her husbands!
I do have a confession though,i got the O/H to rush across to a show once as the gear box had broke:eek:Turns out i was using the 4 Wheel drive gearstick:rolleyes:He wasnt impressed.:eek:
x

Thanks goodness someone else! when no one replied straight away, I thought - that's it, I am the only one! we came back late in the dark from mounted games training to the yard and I was horrified as they normal have a circuit I can drive around and they had blocked it with two vans. I could normally reverse at this point but because it was dark tried for 20 minutes and eventually had to go an knock on their door disturbing them and someone had to do it for me! Each time something like this happens my confidence gets worse! If I see a hill though the panic sets in! I have heard you can get courses on towing, I think they would a challenge with me.

I have left the trailer dumped in the middle of our yard!the O/H and myself had an argument about me learning to reverse,he started to lose his temper as i couldnt reverse into the gap where trailer sits,i got out and told him to do it himself then,he promptly swore at me and went in the house,i listened to the car ticking over for about 1/2 hr,decided he wasnt coming back out so turned car off.I was fairly confident he would reverse it in as he needed his car in the morning for work,i did the ponies,went in the house and we never spoke about reversing or trailer.I got up next morning to find he had gone to work in my car and left the jeep and trailer in the same place with a note telling me unless i reversed it somewhere i couldnt take the kids to school:rolleyes: I rang my mum and told her i had a puncture:D
O/H has a pal which does the towing lessons/tests etc,it was getting that bad i did consider having a few lessons,but then my mean streak surfaced and i just practised at home:D

I'm pretty rubbish at reversing and i've got a single pony trailer! All that backwards thinking muddles my mind! Don't mind hills so much, my OH would be even worse and my dad doesn't drive slow enough so at least in my mind i'm the best one for the job, even if I am crap lol!

I'm rubbish at towing, it makes me a nervous wreck, seriously. I am also very, very slow, I won't bore you with all my trailer based neuroses Unfortunately, there isn't anyone else who can do it for us, but I wish there was.

I can't reverse either, I try to find out if there is enough space for me to circle round before I go places, and if there isn't, I unhitch it and turn it round manually. Yep, I totally relate to how you feel!

You might try your local branch of the caravan and camping club, they sometimes run short courses on towing/reversing/parking trailers etc.

Practice makes perfect.

When I first got my trailer, I took it out loads of times, down main roads, motorways, country lanes, practised reversing etc etc

The only way your going to get better is by practising.

:)

Thanks for all your replies - I found them a great comfort! another humiliation was that I had to give someone a lift from another yard and was forced to reverse. In front of all the children that had just been mounted games training and experienced towers managed to jack knife (is that when it locks in a right angle?) and I had the pony in it. One of the people yard ran up and banged on my window shouting stop stop, you have jack knifed your trailer, I could hear the children saying 'that was scary', I was cringeing for days. I have made some improvement but the problem with hills and correct revs is a worry, I thought I was going to blow up the landrover! Lessons are something I may look into, but with credit crunch etc etc!

The only reason I can reverse a trailer ANYWHERE is I used to live down a track that had no turning circle, and I still live down a track with no turning circle. There's only one way out or in and it's requires reversing, practice, practice, practice.

Get OH to teach you to double de clutch, very handy for towing.

I am so glad this thread has appeared, I thought it was only me ! I am rubbish, I can tow fine ( never had a big hill though ), but it's the bloody reveresing, I just can't judge it ! Have got rid of the trailer now ! My husband is horsey attall and because we had to rely on him to take us to all shows it caused a few problems. I have got a few things in the pipeline to get us to shows this year, but I am determined to crack this !!

newrider.com