Toughened tail skin (sweet itch)

popularfurball

Learning all the time
Jul 18, 2005
North west
Over the past month or so, Ive really noticed the change in her tail - it is constantly swollen, hot and lumpy - it was the same last summer but knew no difference. In the winter it was just a normal tail.

Ive looked into it, and apparently its caused by extensive rubbing damage to the area (when last owner got her she was self hogged mane and tail and covered in bleeding sores).

Anyway, is there anything I can do to "calm it down" per say - I already wash it twice a week which seems to help and she is rugged 24/7. She already has a bald patch through rubbing it despite no bites on her tail. Sudocrem just doesnt last long enough.

Also is there anything I can do to improve tail volume? Its grown A LOT with stupidly tight management in a year but its not growing thickly.

Then...
4508_204953905726_763355726_7120-1.jpg

Now...
24042010612.jpg

07052010021.jpg

Bald spot...
07052010022.jpg

Theres a horse on my yard called Munchie that i help with I turn out occaisonally etc... she suffers really really badly with sweetich and last summer lost her whole tail, now its grown back hock length but having another flair up :( she's started to loose it again she's got fly rugs on and covered head to toe in fly sprays she also gets very very lumpy skin and we have to double fly rug her as they thru just the one!! :( she's having many lotions and potions to try and help but we will be gutted if she losses her tail again. Her skin is very sensitive and hardened on the tail area. Last summer she got golf ball sized lumps on her tail.

There a homepathic treatment for sweetich that our local tack shop have got in we are going to try that, if it works i will pm you, its sooo frustraiting when you cant help them Munchie isnt even my pony and I will be gutted if she losses her tail again xx

Not heard of Flamazine - whats it for??

Its scar tissue that makes it lumpy, not bites. She comes out in hives if she gets bitten. Its lumpy through winter but in the summer it swells (its really firm and hot) and heats up, in winter its squishable and lumpy but normal temp.

I cant have her in fly rugs, she is in a snuggy hood - its brill although if we had barb wire I would have the rambow as doubt snuggy would survive.

I cant have her unrugged. In the process of making her a flourescant riding outfit so we can ride out in the summer :)

PF you have such a way of describing things which is completely unique to you. I can imagine going to the doctor for anything would be an interesting event.;) Squirty, lumpy, squishable. browny to name a few. You seem to be found of 'y' ing words.
I can't tell you how excited I am to see a hi viz riding outfit for Silver. I think I might pee myself.
PS whats the posters in the background of the piccy of Silver's bum. They look like lost pictures, but I'm sure one looks like its of Silver. Confused.

You could try sulphur cream either from the chemist or vasaline with sulphur mixed its usually used for womans probs internally(get my drift) it seems to have a cooling effect but may stain yellow. Bepanthen nappy rash cream can offer a little releif.

Ha FM I put up "Name Posters" seeing as its a public footpath in field etc etc.

Silvers says that shes a rescue pony and can be nervous and anxious so please be quiet and dont wave your arms around near my head. Also says she likes treats but mummy is always banging on about needing to diet and that she has to wear a special rug in the summer to make her feel less itchy and please dont take it off as not having it on makes me poorly.

Rascals says that he loves to explore, please close all gates and keep an eye on property - he will "borrow" whatever he can - shoeleaces, food etc etc so beware! And that although he may be confident and friendly he is only a baby so please be gentle!

Ive tried ASDA nappy cream and sudocream but within minitues its warm and the effects have been lost and shes itchy. Its a lot better this summer with the snuggy hood, just wish I could get rid of the last of it :mad:. I would like an ice pack to tie to her tail :D

newrider.com