Totally wimped out today

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Yesterday I was meant to hack out with RI but she let me down at the last minute - decided to go shopping instead :furious:. Annoying when I pay her, even if she'd called earlier I might have got someone else to ride with us.

Today I arranged for one of the girls at the yard to bring LU out with us. Except his lordship was absolutely stark raving mad, no way was I getting on him! Catching was interesting to say the least - the field now has something resembling a race track up the middle, there was much bucking & hightailing around, & my friend's coloured got the fright of his life when he got caught between the fence & a rodeoing carthorse :eek:. There was also an escaped welshie at one point, though having done a tour of the car park he decided that being on his own was scary & came tearing back :rolleyes: (who is it with the siggy that welsh cobs have one hoof on world domination & the other on the panic button? So true!).

Anyway I eventually got hold of the psycho bunny, though not before he'd set off all the nearby fields, got him in without too much incident then went back for crazy cob (who to be fair had calmed down no end once he was away from Jim). At this point I was having serious doubts about riding, but sometimes a net of hay can work wonders on Jim's temper. However 45min later he still wasn't looking terribly relaxed - he'd seem ok & then something would move & he'd be hyper alert again - so I wimped out. Three slices of horsehage & two hours later he was dozing over the door & I was just thinking that maybe 15min in the school was do-able when something moved somewhere & he was back to square one. Decided to call it quits :redface:. I couldn't even face trying to get him back in the field for a couple more hours turnout so they've stayed in with extra hay

Maybe tomorrow, if the school isn't in use all day. Horses :banghead:

I know I shouldn't be but am chuckling,although I don't believe a word of what you say about the welshie's behaviour of course,the perfect angelic one is above and beyond such things I'm sure:wink::smug:

Am sure you did the right thing,some days it just isn't meant to be.Maybe tomorrow will be a better day for you and Jim:smile:

Little Un is funny devonlass, & if you'd seen how Jim was acting you'd completely understand why he escaped. It was all getting too heated for my liking (& normally I trust Jim to miss me no matter how much he's tarting around) so I slightly opened the gate to slip out. LU had been hiding behind me - yes, he really does think that'll work :giggle: - & shot out like greased lightening, carried on to the car park, squeeked & came flying back to hide behind me again! Oh dear, he's not so brave when he's not got any back-up :giggle:

I'm quite sure that not riding Jim was right, we've proved plenty of times that I know how to fall off & he knows how to deck me. However it was a shame that he was so fired up I didn't even want to put them back out, realistically though it was safer to leave him where he was than try leading him anywhere in that frame of mind.

Absolutely don't blame you! I've learned (as I've got older and a little less stupid) that you should listen to your instincts and don't have to ride if either you or the horse isn't in the right frame of mind - I did it once and got bucked into the wall of the indoor school, so have learned my lesson :frown:

I'd rather build on my confidence with good experiences, so if I think riding that day may damage it, I don't :biggrin:

Aw you did the right thing you dont get prizes for getting hurt and when they get like that it makes you nervous which makes them nervous and so the cycle goes on until bang they do something out of character. Sometimes i think the only cure is a lead injection to the head right between the eyes [dont realy mean it]

newrider.com