Torn chestnut

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Is there anything structural under them? I’m inclined just to treat like a minor laceration but brain is a bit foggy....

I don't think if it's torn it's majorly worrying, they do bleed - from memory I think madam has done that at one point. I'd do what carthorse suggests.

Reactions: Jessey
A trickle wouldn't worry me, there's a lot of blood in a horse. If he or she does tend to get long chestnuts a farrier will often trim them off for you if you ask nicely, and that way they're less likely to get torn.

Yeah they aren't long, its just Jessica and her injury prone ways ? She's done a pretty good job, its torn right out but only 3/4 of the way along it, so its a bit flappy. I stuck it down with intrasite last night but it was flapping again this morning.
D1F98E58-BDF1-4E41-90D1-78E4BF52AEFF.jpeg8CCD62EB-24E2-463A-8E37-09FD03C0BA82.jpeg470A9A53-D8D0-44C7-BB5E-7AA5E7D48F15.jpeg

Bandage and then slide a tubegrip over maybe.

If its flapping id probably spray with purple spray or iodine so it dries up. Then snip the flaping bit off as it dries up. Maybe wittle it off in bits over a few days.

I was going to slap a bandage over it this morning but I only had 5 minutes before I had to leave for work so decided to wait until tonight and slathered it with anti-bac insect repellant gel in the mean time, at least tonight I can hang about and see if my hock bandaging skills fail ;)

Reactions: Huggy
Belle pulled one of hers off like that a few years ago, I whacked a load of wound gel on it and carefully cut off what I could of the flappy bit, it didn’t take long to dry up but that was a winter injury, I’d be more worried about flies right now and would probably have tried to bandage it as you are doing.
She did the same with a skin tag a few weeks ago and that bled quite badly too, but had dried up when I got to the yard, honestly you’d have thought she’d severed an artery it looked so bad and it was the tiniest little tag.
Hope your bandaging was up to scratch and it heals up nice and quick.

Haha my bandage was a fail, it was around her pastern this morning :p I didn't want to do it tight without padding under it but that seemed a bit OTT for what it is, so this morning I just held it 'closed' while I plastered it in fly spray, hopefully it will be dry enough to trim off tomorrow.

Reactions: Trewsers
Haha my bandage was a fail, it was around her pastern this morning :p I didn't want to do it tight without padding under it but that seemed a bit OTT for what it is, so this morning I just held it 'closed' while I plastered it in fly spray, hopefully it will be dry enough to trim off tomorrow.

That's the thing that always worries me about bandaging, too tight and it's not good and too loose and it can end up where it's not meant to be..........................

newrider.com