Top tips for winter survival

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
Buy lots of pairs of cheap gloves and leave them at the yard so you NEVER run out
Woolly hats are brilliant
Have a stash of biscuits and access to tea and coffee. Ie a mug and kettle if there's a plug you can use, otherwise a flask.
Dress in layers. Aldi do a great base layer.
Arrange to ride with others so you can't wimp out if it's raining. (That assumes you actually want to ride. If you dont, no problem. Enjoy the rest!)
Check out local indoor arenas you might be able to hire.

Add yours.....

For me its my full length rain riding coat and wide brimmed waxed hat, I can cope with the cold by layering and working harder but if I get wet I'm hopelessly miserable
@Trewsers do you mean plastic knickers or have you gone American on us? ;)

Hahahaaaaa, no plastic over trousers! Heheheee. Plastic knickers are a thought tho.....just in case my over trews leak........:p

Reactions: Jessey
For me its having spare clothes everywhere!! Waterproof socks are amazing! I now have Overshoes for cycling and they are amazing at keeping my feet warm and dry. I wear leggings under my cycling trousers. And waterproof trousers over the top when it gets to minus figures. Ski gloves to cycle with! I leave my big coat at the yard and a full change of clothes. I cycle in a lighter coat as get warm but once at the yard really feel the cold. Basically I just wear more than I think I will need to and then im usually warm enough.

I have made OH repair my feed shed. It's only taken us 25 years to get round to it. After last winter's bad storm my hen house blew down so that had to be rebuilt and while we were ordering building materials I made him order enough to re roof my feed shed., Oh joy, oh rapture

I have done away with big bale haylage and am feeding hay. I made him re build the shed with two big doors in the side so a big bale of hay and straw can be rolled in. Today, instead of fighting with barrow after barrow of haylage in storm force winds, I stood in a nice warm dry shed and filled haynets, a fraction of the weight, 10 feet to carry them from shed to shed, and the mucking out in the morning is so much easier as the bedding is much drier. THAT is my winter survival bestest thing ever. WIth my hands the way they are ATM I really don;t think I could work with haylage

Reactions: mystiquemalaika
Recommendations for a good full-length PROPER waterproof coat please??? Already fed up with being soaked....

Recommendations for a good full-length PROPER waterproof coat please??? Already fed up with being soaked....

I have a Shires one. It makes me look a bit scary and I doubt if I'd go further than the village in it.......(think horror film I know What You Did Last Summer) but it has deep pockets which are ideal for filling with useful items such as baler twine, Swiss army knife, gloves etc. It has a hood too which is detachable. It has leg straps which alas are now broken but on the whole it is something I nearly always reach for in the really grotty weather. I find it a generous fit too and I can wear another coat underneath if necessary.

I have always had waxed cotton ones, they are heavy, stiff, stink and need rewaxing regularly [emoji57] so a few years ago I brought one of these
http://georgealan.co.uk/country-estate-sandringham-riding-coat-4219-p.asp
Cheap enough, light, comfy, doesnt stink and has a good size pleated bit at the back so still covers your legs once on-board :) I sprayed some tent proofer on it last year as preventative maintenance and its a trooper :D

newrider.com