Top tips for a hungry fat cob?

Mine can be a bit like that but wrapping the lead rope around his nose usually works.

If I suspect he's going to be really bad I do some clicker training to distract him while asking him to be have or I've also found that asking my boy to trot in from the field prevents this problem - think he just gets a bit of a shock when he is asked to do something other than just dawdle in at his own pace.:)

ohhh I have one of those aswell !!! sets his head down and drags to the lush grass !!!

usually I get round it by being one step ahead of him, he totally drags my daughter as he knows he can! I can usually stop him !

How about leading him in a simple bridle to give you more control if hes very strong, or chucking a grazzle muzzle on him! He will soon learn he cant gorge himself !!!! :p

well In my experience a bridal!!! but before resorting to a bridal you could try a grazing mussle, Ive seen that done to some greedy horses being lead down the lane where I used to ride, not sure how effective it is though.

I used to get dragged around by a cob, I loved him though so just accepted it :p but if i just didnt have time and had to get him in the wrapping the lead rope round the nose helped, along with walking next to his neck with my lower arm resting on his neck, so that when he tryed to pull off my elbow would dig into his neck, not always effictive, this didnt work if he was really het up or energenic.....
Seriously a bridal....

I think that you need to be on your toes and spot the signs and stop it before it strats. Easier to stop them putting their heads down than it is to get their heads up and then to break a habit.

If you see him trying, work on getting him to disengage his hindquarters and actually work whist being led.

Grazing muzzles are good and are also good for leaving your horse on a field full of grass becasue they can only eat small amounts at one time and really do help with leading!!

Oh this is going to be fun as as i too have a fat cob called "NELLY"!!!!!!:rolleyes:
He has been using a muzzle now for 4/6 weeks and its worked wonders,although his ground manners are impecable and he wouldnt dare tank off anywhere or do anything like that.
You really need to get some control for the safety of both you and others,anyway you can!;)

Oh this is going to be fun as as i too have a fat cob called "NELLY"!!!!!!:rolleyes:
He has been using a muzzle now for 4/6 weeks and its worked wonders,although his ground manners are impecable and he wouldnt dare tank off anywhere or do anything like that.
You really need to get some control for the safety of both you and others,anyway you can!;)

nelly and fat do not go in the same sentance :rolleyes: hes lush ;)

id go right back to the basics with him
x

How about just using the muzzle to lead him in, it will take time but he will hopefully learn that he can't get the grass through it and so stop trying.

Not sure how you feel about messing up some tack if this doesnt work. Try to get him used to this in a barefield or the yard first.

Put on a bridle, or head collar if you dont want him hurting his mouth, attach a daisy rein between the back of the bridle behind his ears, then it goes down the neck and splits in a Y shape to buckle or clip on the D rings on the saddle. They are about £10 pony size.

I walk mine out with the daisy rein on, but got him used to it inside first, yours may have a tantrum if he cant get his head down. Mine did, he was bucking and shucking trying to eat. Thats why I used a headcollar instead of bridle so as not to hurt his mouth until he got the idea.

It sure makes in hand walks a lot easier. You cant bond if you are shouting and pulling on them all the time. We have to outsmart them, I've done all the shouting and pulling my shoulders could take.

I would take stirrups off too in case he runs off you dont want them flapping, also be aware he may panic and try running through fences etc. Again get them used to it in a safe environment first.

I am having the same problem - usually when I loosen my grip to do the gate, she has even turned and spun off at this point to get back to the grass! - it is either let go or die!!

newrider.com