Took Ben for a proper blast!!!

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
As you all know, I am the worlds worst hacker. I have always lacked confidence and have been slowly increasing this since I got Ben last year.

I have had a stressful day and for the first time in my whole life thought that I would take my horse for a blast. We went out on our own in the big 20 acre field and after a few laps in trot, we cantered the whole way round. Ben was so energetic, really up for it and enjoyed himself. I checked him a few times to make sure that we still had brakes and the second I asked him to slow down he did. We went faster than we ever had before and to feel the power of him and the wind in my face was amazing. I am starting to understand the attraction of going fast now!

The difference is all in my attitude. I have always been amazed at the ability he has to read my mind. When I 100% want to do something, he just knows and does exactly as I want. I am going to have a quiet hack tomorrow so he doesn't think that we are going to go fast everytime we are out, but it's great to know that when we want to go, we can!

It's just a shame that the dark nights are approaching and I won't be able to do evening hacks much longer. It's taken me all summer to pluck up the confidence to hack in the evenings and now that I can, I'm going to be confined to the school.

Wow - I'm so happy for you (and more than a wee bit envious!!). Well done to you and Ben.

Thank you. Honestly though, if I can do this anyone can. I really doubt that there are many riders in the world who are more nervous than me. I think that I just got so lucky that I ended up with such an understanding horse. There have been times when I have got so nervous most horses would have done something stupid, but when I get myself into a state, Ben just stops and waits for me to sort myself out. If I could clone him I would make a fortune!

Well done you that's great! It really is just wonderful when your confidence finally reaches that point, I remember when mine did with Moët, it really was so fun!

he sounds a total angel and you are very lucky

I know. I just got so lucky finding him. I ride him everyday and we have never had any real problems or issues to sort out. When he spooks or is confused, he just stops. I almost feel that I have been waiting for something to go wrong or him to display some bad behaviour, but now that I have had him for 10 months I'm beginning to trust that he is actually as good as I was told he was.

Well done you that's great! It really is just wonderful when your confidence finally reaches that point, I remember when mine did with Moët, it really was so fun!

Thank you. When I look back to how I was, I can't believe how much I have come on. It took me months to be able to just walk into this field, and even then I used to ride in 20m circles by the gate and then go back out. I used to actually feel sick at the sight of an open field, and when I was at the far end if I looked back towards the gate I used to panic that he was going to bolt back home with me. Of course he never has, while he did enjoy our burst of speed, walk is always going to be his favourite pace!

I remember very well your writing about how it felt to go into the open field. And now you have cantered all the way round it! Lovely, lovely Ben. Lucky you.

All I can equate this to is schooling in a school and even the thought of it makes me feel sick. So impressed at how far you've come. Well done xx

Very impressed and VERY jealous! I hope I can trust Joey enough to rediscover confidence xx

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I know that it doesn't seem alot to many people, but this is what I have wanted to do for years and I have found it so hard to actually do.

There really is hope for anyone with confidence issues as I really do believe that if I can overcome them, anyone can. I think that the key is having the right horse, taking the time to do things at your pace and understanding that there is no quick fix and it won't happen overnight. You just cannot describe the feeling when it all goes well though, it's fantastic.

Really pleased for you that you enjoyed it, it's always nice reading your posts to see how far your confidence has increased with him, well done xx

newrider.com