Too Old?

Georgia68

May 11, 2009
Hi all,

I've just been into the rider section and a spring chicken of 18 has asked if they are too old to be a good rider.

Eeeek! I thought. I'm 40 and my partner is 38, and we only started riding in January this year. It's certainly slow progress, but we are enjoying it very much and were thinking that we might work toward having our own horses in a couple of years.

Are we crazy to think that we will ever be good enough for this starting at such a late stage?

I really don't want to inflict my ineptitude on a horse, but thought that maybe in a couple of years we will be at least adequate riders?

:(

Of course your not, everybody can learn to ride at whatever age, younger people have alot more confidence (by younger I do mean young), and others have a natural ability, others just have to try harder!

You never know you may have a really good natural ability

Dear Georgia68,

This too old topic comes up often on the 'mature' section. You'll find the answer is a resounding 'no, you are not too old.'

My OH and I are where you and your partner will be a couple of years down the line. We started riding after a long gap two and a half years ago - me in my mid 40s, he in his early 50s.

We still have loads and loads to learn, but we are able to enjoy long fast hacks and he is going for his -1 polo handicap this year.

Best of luck to you both.

Px

Poppy **** :p
I didn't even sit on a horse until I was nearly 40; had a lesson a week for 6 months then I thought I was good enough to buy a pony :D
I gained loads of confindence, and learnt so much.
BUT novice rider + pony that bucked and chucked me off more than I care to remember didn't last long ( a year!)

6 years on I have my fabulous Ben :) Definately worth the wait!

of course if you ride since you are a tot you are likely to have more stickability and therefore more confidence. adults do not have the pleasure generally of riding tiny little ponies that try to chuck you off at every time possible. kids who learn to ride on ponies like these soon develop a good seat and balance. anyone can learn to ride at any age but is generally people who have been riding since they were kids that make the best riders when they are older as long as they havent learnt any bad habits. if you learn at an older age you are less likely to learn bad habits but you generally do not have as much confidence. i have been told i am very stickable but i put it down to the ponies i rode when i was tiny. horses are much gentler in general so would give more confidence. i dont know if any of this has made sense coz i feel like i have rambled? let me know if it does!!

Hi all,

I've just been into the rider section and a spring chicken of 18 has asked if they are too old to be a good rider.

Eeeek! I thought. I'm 40 and my partner is 38, and we only started riding in January this year. It's certainly slow progress, but we are enjoying it very much and were thinking that we might work toward having our own horses in a couple of years.

Are we crazy to think that we will ever be good enough for this starting at such a late stage?

I really don't want to inflict my ineptitude on a horse, but thought that maybe in a couple of years we will be at least adequate riders?

your definatly not too old!!! we had a 98 year old women start!!! (she was the high flying kind skydived 2-3 times a year and bungee jumped... was talking about base jumping god scared me)

all you have to realise is that it will take time, because as riders get older the awarness for things around them that could be affected if there was a fal and injury is more eveident. also your in general more stiff through your body and getting that relaxed state and loosy goosey body takes a bit more time in general.

as long as you stick at it, make sure you do your stretches, and have good instruction you will be good riders!!

and the spring chicken 18 yr old bah.... attention!! lol best of luck to you and your partner, just remember to enjoy it and breathe

Bless you all! :D

God that makes me feel so much better. I think we're going through a bit of a rought patch as H, my partner, doesn't have a great deal of confidence re getting into canter, and seems to be a bit stuck. Just praying she doesn't decide to jack it all in.

But I started jumping a couple of weeks ago and absolutely love it, so more enthusiastic than ever.

I do feel a bit like a teenage girl, buying horse magazines and looking at horses for sale on the net. But it's lovely to find something that I adore, never really had an interest I could get such pleasure out of before.

NOOOOOOOOOO! Not crazy! OH and I didn't start learning until we were 34 (we're both 40 soon!). We now keep ours at home - and love nothing better than to pootle around.....:D We've gone from having a hack on holiday to twice weekly lessons, to then horse ownership! Its great - and its NEVER too late! You might find you are less able to bounce than younger riders - but never mind, the object isn't to fall off afterall is it?!!!! Enjoy.

I will be 70 in a couple of month's time. I have three horses at home at present, and ride out most days on the hills and in the forests for up to 5 - 6 hours.

I will grant that I have ridden since I was very tiny, so it feels totally natural to me but good heavens, if it is something that I - and lots of people older than me - can do with a certain degree of competence, then what on earth is stopping someone 30+ years younger than myself learning how to do it?

Nothing other than the opinions of others who don't matter, anyway, that's all!

5 to 6hrs !!! Thats it, I wanna come play at yours !! The longest I can stretch a hack out here is 2hrs before we start to repeat our circle.

I will be 70 in a couple of month's time. I have three horses at home at present, and ride out most days on the hills and in the forests for up to 5 - 6 hours.

I will grant that I have ridden since I was very tiny, so it feels totally natural to me but good heavens, if it is something that I - and lots of people older than me - can do with a certain degree of competence, then what on earth is stopping someone 30+ years younger than myself learning how to do it?

Nothing other than the opinions of others who don't matter, anyway, that's all!

I am jealous- you get real time to envy in the saddle!

I am jealous- you get real time to envy in the saddle!

Let it be a lesson to all those who dread 'growing old' and who reject the idea of a 'career'.

Have a career which enables you to make decent provision for your retirement years, take care of your health and stay active both mentally and physically.

The chances are then high that you will find yourself free of family responsibilities, free of mortgage debt and free of the necessity to work, other than perhaps occasionally or part-time. You will be able to live in places totally unfeasible for a normal commuter, and ride all day and every day without your feeling guilty or anyone else complaining - as long as you ensure your equally-retired husband gets equally-involved with HIS interests, of course.

Let it be a lesson to all those who dread 'growing old' and who reject the idea of a 'career'.

Have a career which enables you to make decent provision for your retirement years, take care of your health and stay active both mentally and physically.

The chances are then high that you will find yourself free of family responsibilities, free of mortgage debt and free of the necessity to work, other than perhaps occasionally or part-time. You will be able to live in places totally unfeasible for a normal commuter, and ride all day and every day without your feeling guilty or anyone else complaining - as long as you ensure your equally-retired husband gets equally-involved with HIS interests, of course.

Wise words indeed!

Horsey hubby and I agree- we have the horses figure in our retirement plan from the council and teaching. Kiz and Jas will be perfect in 15 years for long pleasant hacks.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I used to know an old lady in her eighties who was still hunting regularly. She obviously was still a good rider.

newrider.com