Too much mud

Queenie

May 29, 2000
Holland
Visit site
When I went to check Queen after being away for a week. I was appalled at the amount of mud in the field. There are 4 horses and they sink into the mud, it's up to their cannon bones.

My problem is how bad is it really for the horses. When they walk away, you can see them straining to pull out their feet and the noise is just like a plunger when they suceed. Their pecking order is established by strange muscle flinching as at the moment it's too difficult to move away. I'm worried she may damage her legs in these conditions.

There is another field available for turn out but there's no shelter and the wind can gust through sometimes, although the horses don't look too uncomfortable for too long. I could move her there (alone unless I can persudae him to move the other horses) or stable her.

What do think is wise to do in these circumstances ?

You have my sympathy. Some of Connie's herdlet were moved out of their usual field due to the mud. She got her legs tangled up in her legstraps so I moved her back to keep an eye on her. Sensible you would think. Bad move, mud up to the eyeballs and two new horses in the field as well as some old friends as well and she has been laying the law down. She is now back in her other field as as happy as Larry - Fillet strap on rug.. I am getting fed up of walking up and down the road with her and her education will go to pot but better that than damaged legs.
The mud is bad enough that Mossy, who has legs like treetrunks is on stable and yard rest due to mud damage.

I would see if you can persuade the owner to move all of them. If they are well rugged and well fed, and have hedges for shelter they will come to no harm. Stabling is a last resort as it can cause more problems thn it solves.

newrider.com